CHAPTER 29

Meerab stepped inside the chamber, closing the door gently behind her. Expecting Murtasim's sisters to follow, she turned to find them absent, assuming they had left her to settle in on her own. Relieved to finally have a moment to herself, she began to explore the expansive space that would now be her personal domain.

The chamber was larger than any room she had ever called her own. She moved gracefully across the room, her fingers trailing lightly over the polished wood of the furniture, the smooth silk of the curtains. Walking towards the windows, she pulled them open and was greeted by the sight of the vast, vibrant garden that bordered one side of the palace. The flowers were in full bloom, and a gentle breeze brought with it the fragrance of jasmine and roses. She smiled softly to herself, feeling a sense of calm she hadn't felt since arriving in Aranya.

Curious, Meerab ventured to the opposite side of the room, hoping for a glimpse of the training ground. To her mild disappointment, there were no windows facing it. She sighed but didn't let it dampen her spirits. This chamber was already better than she could have imagined.

She twirled in the center of the room, her skirts swirling around her as she spun with delight. The unfamiliar feeling of happiness caught her by surprise, and for a brief moment, she felt as though she could belong here. Her eyes landed on a series of trunks stacked neatly in the corner. She approached them but decided not to touch them just yet. She would wait for her maids to help her with the unpacking.

As she explored further, a narrow path led her to a door at the far end of the chamber. It was locked. Meerab frowned slightly, her curiosity piqued. She knelt down, peeking through the keyhole, but the space beyond was dark, and she couldn't make out anything. She wondered what lay on the other side, but for now, it would remain a mystery.

Her mind wandered to the bathing facilities. In Al-Harim, each chamber had its own private hamam, a luxury she had grown accustomed to. She wondered if Aranya's palace had something similar. Noticing no immediate signs of one in her chamber, she shrugged and decided to ask her maids about it later.

When no one arrived after some time, Meerab stepped outside. Her maids, Aisha and Zara, were waiting obediently by the door. She smiled at them, waving them in, but the guards stationed nearby stepped forward, blocking their path. Surprised, Meerab looked at the guards, then at her maids. She assumed it must be part of Murtasim's orders, a strictness to ensure privacy or security. Unbothered for now, she asked her maids to enquire about the bathing facilities and prepare everything for later.

Returning to her chamber, Meerab felt a sense of isolation creeping in. The vastness of the room, though beautiful, made her feel small in this foreign palace. The absence of her family weighed heavily on her heart, but she reminded herself of her new life here. She needed to adjust, and soon enough, she would meet Murtasim's family properly.

Lying down on the soft bed, Meerab let out a long breath. The journey, the introductions, and the emotions of the day had taken their toll on her. Within minutes, exhaustion swept over her, and she drifted into a deep, dreamless sleep, cocooned in the unfamiliar yet comforting surroundings of her new home.

Meerab Faces Murtasim's Wrath

Murtasim's head throbbed from lack of sleep and the weight of his responsibilities. The journey back to Aranya had been exhausting, every moment spent in vigilant protection of Meerab, followed by endless hours of court duties. Ordinarily, he would have rested in the chambers adjoining the court, but tonight, something compelled him to return to the family quarters. He thought of Meerab-alone in this vast palace, unfamiliar with anyone but him. The urge to see her, to ensure her well-being, outweighed his fatigue.