Chapter 1: The Girl Who Cheated Death

So, my recurring shift begins gathering souls to take to the higher place.

The alcoholic smell of hand sanitizer filling my nose as I waltz through the ward. Hospitals have always been my favourite collection point.

War zones were my least favourite; fear was practically looking me in the eye. The smell of hatred over bearing from both sides.

Another Mary added to my list of victims. Her and her husband, Alfred died together in the hospital after being in a car accident. Their son, Daryl, the driver had been picked up earlier.

My next stop a young girl, about twenty. My age when I became immortal and the symbol of death.

She looked so peaceful lying in a coma, narrowly avoiding me. She was constantly taking seizures and hit her head off the pavement so hard she took a concussion and fell into a deep sleep.

I often came and checked on her, the girl who cheated death. It enraged me. Totally humiliating me. Her name often left my lips like curse words. Esther Marie Davis.

She looked almost angelic in her coma but there was a lingering stench of myself on her. Her heartbroken family huddled around her day by day, the mourning process already begun. Sympathy smiles greeting them everywhere they look, having to take days off work because they're having a day just for crying. They tried to stay strong but they couldn't.

Esther wouldn't have wanted this. I knew her well. She would have wanted everyone to move on. To pray everyday for miracles. To love her unconditionally, alive or dying.

My eyes raked up and down her body, her heartbeat penetrating my ears. Her monitor perfectly harmonising with it. This was a tune I enjoyed. I longed for.

She hadn't transitioned yet. She's been in her coma for three weeks but was strong enough not to come out of body. Impressive. Annoying. I need to know her. I was willing to risk her life just to be near her.

There were times I just couldn't hold myself back, there were times I had to touch skin with one of the humans. Killing them instantly. With her: it's different. I wanted to touch her but something pulled me back. Pulled me back from harming her, pulled me back to visit her.

This was my dilemma: she cheated death with every seizure she had, avoiding me, avoiding transitioning but she was my angel. My angel of death.

"H-Hello?" Bliss. Her stutter the perfect symphony to the ever growing tune. She came. Finally.

"I've been expecting you." My hoarse voice spoke.

------
I was so nervous to post this! Thank you for reading, it means so much. Will be updating every Sunday, I look forward to that.

Stay slaying, -B.