Chapter 14: Goodbye for Now

The air in the villa felt heavy, the weight of unspoken words hanging between Ethan and Lena as they sat across from each other. Outside, the French countryside was as serene as ever, the late afternoon sun casting long, golden shadows over the fields. But inside, the tension was palpable. The soft hum of "Let It Be" by The Beatles played in the background, adding a bittersweet tone to the already charged atmosphere.

Ethan could hardly bring himself to look at Lena. He knew that what he was about to ask of her would change everything. He had to leave—his treatment required it—but he couldn't tell her the full truth. He had decided to lie, to protect her from the gravity of the situation. It wasn't fair, but it was the only way he knew how to keep things from unraveling completely.

Lena's voice, calm but filled with an edge of concern, broke the silence. "What's going on, Ethan? You've been distant since I got here. What are you not telling me?"

Ethan looked down at his hands, the guilt gnawing at him. "I need to go away for a while, Lena," he began softly. "It's... work. A project in a remote location. There's no school for Sophia there. I can't take her with me."

Lena's brow furrowed as she stared at him, disbelief flickering in her eyes. "A project? Ethan, this doesn't make sense. Why didn't you tell me about this earlier? Why now?"

His heart clenched. He hated lying to her, hated the way the words felt on his tongue. But he couldn't bear to tell her the real reason he had to leave. "It came up suddenly," he said, his voice strained. "It's a long-term assignment, but it won't be forever. I just need you to take care of Sophia while I'm gone."

The room fell silent again, the weight of his request sinking in.

"You expect me to believe this is just about work?" Lena's voice was softer now, but her words were laced with doubt. She stood up, pacing to the window, her arms wrapped around herself. "Ethan, you've kept things from me before. I need to know what's really going on."

Ethan stood and walked over to her, his heart aching. He wanted to tell her everything—to confess that his health was failing, that the treatment he needed would take him away for months, maybe longer. But how could he? How could he ask her to carry that burden when they were only just beginning to rebuild the trust between them?

Instead, he placed a hand on her shoulder, his voice soft and full of regret. "I promise you, this is temporary. I'll come back, Lena. I just... I need your help right now."

Lena turned to face him, her eyes filled with pain and confusion. "You expect me to trust you after everything? After all the secrets and lies?"

Ethan's chest tightened. He deserved her anger, her distrust. But this wasn't about him anymore—it was about Sophia. "I know I've made mistakes," he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. "But I'm asking you, for Sophia's sake, to trust me one last time. She needs you."

A Moment of Silence

Lena stared at him, her thoughts swirling. She had never stopped loving Ethan, but the years of betrayal, the lies, the pain—they had built a wall between them that seemed impossible to break. And now, he was asking her to take on the responsibility of their daughter alone, without even giving her a real explanation.

She turned away from him, her gaze falling on the garden outside where Sophia was playing. The little girl's laughter echoed through the window, a reminder of the innocence they had both worked so hard to protect.

"What about her, Ethan?" Lena asked softly, her voice trembling. "What if you don't come back? What if something happens, and I have to raise her alone?"

Ethan's heart ached as he looked at her, guilt flooding his veins. He knew there was no easy answer to that question. He wished he could promise her that everything would be okay, that he would return healthy and whole. But the truth was, he didn't know what the future held.

"I'll come back," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "I have to."

Lena closed her eyes, the weight of her decision pressing down on her. She had already missed so much of Sophia's life—could she risk losing Ethan too? Could she let him go without knowing what he was really facing?

Later That Evening: The Goodbye

The sun had set by the time Ethan stood by the front door, his bags packed and ready to leave. The villa was quiet now, the only sound the soft hum of the evening breeze rustling through the trees. Sophia was already asleep, tucked into bed with the innocence of a child who had no idea her world was about to change.

Lena stood by the doorway, her arms crossed as she watched him. "Are you sure this is the right thing to do?" she asked quietly, her voice filled with doubt.

"I don't have a choice," Ethan replied, his heart heavy with the lie. "But I'll be back. I promise."

Lena nodded, but there was something in her eyes—a deep uncertainty that told Ethan she wasn't sure if she believed him. "You'd better come back," she said, her voice soft but firm. "For Sophia's sake."

Ethan's chest tightened at the sound of his daughter's name. He had tried to convince himself that leaving was the best option, that it was the only way to ensure her future. But now, standing on the edge of this decision, he wasn't so sure.

Without another word, Ethan stepped out into the cool night air, the weight of his choices pressing down on him. As he walked toward his car, the melody of "Let It Be" played softly in his mind, a haunting reminder of the love and the loss that had shaped his life.

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me...

He wasn't sure when—or if—he would return. But for now, he had to let go and trust that the bond between him, Lena, and Sophia would be enough to carry them through the storm.