Chapter 13: The Weight of Secrets

The French countryside was bathed in the soft glow of the evening sun, casting long shadows over the villa Ethan had made his home. But the serenity of the landscape did nothing to calm the storm brewing inside him. He sat on the edge of his bed, staring at the small appointment card in his hand. The diagnosis wasn't life-threatening, but it was serious. His health had been deteriorating for months, the symptoms becoming too prominent to ignore—constant fatigue, a persistent cough, dizziness. The doctor had said it was a respiratory condition, curable but requiring long-term treatment.

He knew he could get better, but the thought of being absent during his recovery troubled him. Sophia needed him, and so did his work. But more than that, Ethan had realized there were things left unresolved with Lena. If something went wrong during his treatment, he couldn't live with the thought of leaving things broken between them.

The decision to reach out to Lena again had been painful, but he needed to seek her forgiveness. He wanted to ensure Sophia had a stable life if the treatment didn't go as planned. But he hadn't told anyone about his condition—not Lena, not Rina, not even Felix.

Flashback: The Phone Call to Lena

Ethan had called Lena the week before, the weight of his diagnosis pressing heavily on him. He had paced the porch of the villa, staring out at the horizon, the French countryside spread out before him like a painting. His mind had been in turmoil—how could he ask Lena for forgiveness when so much still lingered between them?

"Lena," he had said softly, his voice hesitant. "I've been thinking about us, about Sophia. There's so much we need to talk about."

There had been a long pause on the other end of the line. "I don't know if I'm ready to talk about this right now, Ethan," Lena had responded, her voice filled with uncertainty.

Ethan had wanted to explain everything, to tell her about his health, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Instead, he had focused on their daughter. "We need to figure out what's next for Sophia, Lena. We can't keep avoiding it."

Lena had hesitated before finally confessing, "I still love you, Ethan. I never stopped."

Hearing those words had shaken him to the core. He had hoped for reconciliation, but now, with the uncertainty of his condition, he didn't know what the future held. He needed to recover, for Sophia's sake, but how could he ask Lena to wait for him, to stand by him through this when they had barely repaired the wounds of the past?

Felix's Discovery

Ethan's brother, Felix, had been staying with him for the last few weeks, helping with the daily operations of the firm and keeping an eye on Sophia when Ethan was too tired to keep up. Felix had always been the carefree sibling, the one who laughed easily and carried the burdens of life lightly. But he wasn't oblivious. Lately, he had noticed the change in Ethan—the fatigue, the shortness of breath, the distant look in his eyes. Something was wrong, and Felix had started to worry.

One afternoon, while Ethan was out running errands, Felix had gone into his brother's room to grab a book. As he moved some papers, a small appointment card slipped out and landed on the floor.

Hôpital Universitaire – Respiratory Treatment Unit. Dr. Mathieu Deschamps. Consultation for specialized treatment.

Felix's heart sank. He stared at the card, reading the details over and over again, trying to process what he was seeing. Treatment? Respiratory problems? Why hadn't Ethan said anything? He had looked tired lately, sure, but Felix had chalked it up to stress from work and raising Sophia.

When Ethan returned home that evening, Felix was waiting for him, the appointment card laid out on the coffee table.

"What is this?" Felix demanded, his voice low but filled with concern.

Ethan froze, his eyes darting to the card. His chest tightened with guilt. "Felix, it's nothing—"

"Don't give me that," Felix interrupted, standing up. "You're going to the hospital for treatment? What's going on?"

Ethan sighed, sinking into the chair. He had hoped to keep this from Felix a little longer, to avoid the inevitable confrontation. But now that the truth was out, there was no point in lying.

"I've been diagnosed with a respiratory condition," Ethan admitted quietly. "It's curable, but I need long-term treatment. It's... it's why I've been so tired lately."

Felix's face was a mix of shock and frustration. "And you didn't think to tell me? Or anyone? You've been walking around like everything's fine, and you're... you're sick!"

"I didn't want to worry anyone," Ethan said, his voice filled with regret. "I thought I could handle it on my own."

Felix shook his head, sitting down beside him. "Ethan, you can't do this alone. You need support—family. Have you told Lena?"

Ethan's chest tightened at the mention of her name. "No. I haven't told her yet. I don't know how."

Felix leaned forward, his voice softening. "You have to tell her. She deserves to know, and Sophia... what if something happens? You need to make sure everything's in order."

Ethan ran a hand through his hair, the weight of Felix's words pressing down on him. "I know. I just... I don't want her to feel obligated to take care of me. She's finally starting to move forward, and I don't want to pull her back into my mess."

Felix placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. "This isn't about obligation, Ethan. It's about love and forgiveness. You called her because you needed her to know how you feel, right? Well, this is part of it. She deserves the truth."

A Cliffhanger: A Decision to Be Made

That night, Ethan lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. His mind was racing with all the things left unsaid, all the fears he hadn't yet faced. He knew he couldn't keep this from Lena much longer. She deserved to know, and Sophia needed to understand what was happening.

His phone buzzed on the nightstand, and he glanced over, seeing a message from Lena.

"I've been thinking about what you said. We do need to talk, Ethan. I'm coming back to France."

Ethan's heart raced as he read the message. Lena was coming back. But how could he tell her the truth? How could he explain that, despite everything, he needed her now more than ever—not just for Sophia, but for himself?

As he closed his eyes, the weight of his secret pressed down on him, the uncertainty of what lay ahead looming large.