Between two worlds: Dreaming of the fall

I stared at the freshly rolled blunt held delicately between my fingertips. As I brought it to my lips, my hand trembled slightly. I took a slow, deliberate inhale, feeling the thick, white smoke fill my lungs before exhaling it into the tranquil night air. The grass bellow me swayed softly as I reclined, gazing up at the vast expanse of the star-speckled sky. It would have been the perfect, peaceful setting—except for the reason I was outside of my home at 2 am.

With each puff, my stress slipped away. The weed was most obvious answer to my problems, the escape hatch that would release me from all of it, the route to silence it, just for a bit.

 Lately, my dreams have been in utter chaos. Every time I close my eyes, I get the unsettling feeling that I am not alone in my dreams. It's a strange sensation, almost as if there are eyes watching my every move, lurking within the depths of my subconscious. This eerie sensation has persisted for the past two weeks, making me feel like I am being observed within the realm of my own dreams.

As I drifted off to sleep each night, I noticed a gradual increase in my awareness that I was in a dream. At times, the line between my dream and reality seemed to blur, making it feel like my dream world was my waking life. When I eventually woke up, it felt like I was emerging from a dream into another dream, leaving me in a state of perpetual confusion.

The most frightening thing was the sensation of being watched by someone lurking in the shadows. Whenever I attempted to focus on this mysterious figure, it would quickly fade away, as if the dream itself was shielding me from potential danger. It was as if the dream was trying to protect me, ensuring I never came face to face with whatever lurked in the shadows. But the fear was growing, the dread becoming more palpable with each dream.

Every time I entered the dream, it began with a sense of deja vu. As I opened my eyes, I found myself lying in my bed, and the clock on my nightstand always showed the date as October 31, 9:26 pm. Upon rising from my bed, I would make my way to the bathroom, where I would confront my reflection. Although my reflection appeared normal, an inexplicable unease settled over me. The reflection around me seemed distorted as if the very fabric of reality was fraying, making it impossible to focus clearly.

I had an eerie sensation of a powerful aura, yet it remained elusive, never revealing itself. In my dreams, whenever I gazed at my reflection in the mirror, my appearance seemed normal, but everything else felt unsettling. The image in the mirror was warped as if the very space around me couldn't maintain a sharp focus. The reflection grew progressively more hazy, and soon, everything around me slowly was being into engulfed by darkness.

Flashback

As I slowly opened my eyes, I found myself lying in the warmth of my bed. The soft glow of the digital clock on my nightstand caught my attention, displaying the incorrect date and time: October 31, 9:27 pm. Although I knew it wasn't the actual date and time, I chose to disregard it. I let out a weary sigh, stretching as I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. Flicking on the bathroom lights, I leaned against the cool sink and gazed at my reflection in the mirror with a determined expression.

As my gaze met the reflection in the mirror, I couldn't help but notice the startling clarity of the image. However, something seemed amiss this time - the encroaching darkness around the edges appeared to be spreading further, reminiscent of a relentless flood engulfing my figure. Despite my unease, I attempted to divert my attention from the encroaching darkness and instead focused on scrutinizing my own features.

It became increasingly clear that the nature of the dream was changing, causing an unsettling sensation to run down my spine. The darkness that usually skulked at the fringes of my dreams and in the corners of the mirror appeared to have escaped its usual confines. The ominously pervasive darkness was no longer content to lurk in the shadows; instead, it seemed to engulf everything in its path, casting an eerie and unsettling presence over the surroundings.