Two\\ Chapter

I glared as my father sped off from the house, leaving me to take my bike to school. Not that I minded, kept me away from him, not to mention I liked riding my bike. The freedom that came along with it. I yanked my bike up from the ground and walked it onto the sidewalk before hopping on and peddling my way to school. The streets seemed awfully quiet for a school day, only a few cars that drove past me and down the steep hill that led further into the center of the city. Where the school was, town hall, Library and almost all the other small or local businesses were located. This was the heart of the city, but somehow, still the emptiest. The people, adults mainly, blind, uncaring. Leaving the kids to fend for themselves, against adults like my father and against other kids. Other kids like..

   I knew all too quickly the noise that suddenly filled my ears. The noise rattling against my eardrums like a war cry. I turned back just as the all too familiar blue Trans AM came into full view as it rounded the corner. It was the local bullies, the very reason I both dread school, and find purpose to go. Henry Bowers, Patrick Hockstetter, Belch Higgins, and Victor Cross. I hated them, I hated Henry. Henry has been a bully his whole life, his daddy bullying him everyday don't help neither but I mean, I'm not a bully, and my daddy bullies me plenty. I guess this is why I disliked him so much, and I think that's why he hated me just as much if not more, having it out for me since day one but, that hate grew rather quickly and fiercer as I'd interfere with his bullying or harsh treatment of the other kids.

"Where ya headin' Stratton? You want a lift?" The threat underlying the nice gesture was more than obvious, his sarcastic tone only adding to it. The engine revved and the car sped up more in my direction, given it was the way to school but still, couldn't they go another way? Or at least come at a different time? Now was the time to make a quick decision, stay on this side of the road, out in the open and closer towards the vehicle they were all piled into. Or.. chance it. Make a daring dash across the street and carry on down a side road and hope I can shake them, at least finish my ride to school in peace before the endless day begins. They were already heading at me with speed, seeing me make such a move is like asking to be hit in their eyes. The decision was made rather quickly, knowing I had no time to waste on debating the dilemma any further. I swerved my bike suddenly out into the road, pushing my legs down hard on the pedals. I could hear Henry screaming something to Belch as he ducked back down into the car through his open window, what I'm not sure, it's pretty safe to assume though, especially as the car soon picked up even greater speed.

  The car seemed to send me an all too inviting gush of wind as the car zoomed past me, narrowly missing my back tire. I gasped out breathlessly, a surge of adrenaline coursing through me as I sped off quickly from the area, not wanting to risk staying and finding out if they'll turn around and chase after me. I hear the car continue down the road, Henry's threatening yells echoing out over it. He was pissed he missed, but had decided to save further bullying and torment til later. This causes me to laugh out hysterically, still breathless from the close call, both the fact that I had beaten them at the game of chicken but also because I had royally pissed Henry off while doing so.

   I carried on the rest of the way to school as I normally would, the strange sense I felt still lingered below my mild gloat, that feeling coming back more as I glided down the hill and towards the heart. Everything seemed.. off. I brush off this feeling, continuing for the building I called school. I raised a brow, seeing Bower's with his squad outside the school. No, not Henry, his father. He was in full uniform, with at least half of the cops he had in the whole town.

   I hop off the bike, eyeing them as I go and lock it in the bike racks. They talked with the principal, a few parents that strayed around, teachers, but no students. My eyes gaze over to the blue Trans AM that was parked on the opposite side of school, indicating the bully squad was here already as well. I inhale deeply, readying myself for the day as I subconsciously hold on to the straps of my bag for comfort. I proceed with a heavy first step, making my way for the doors up the long walkway outside.