Six\\ Chapter

You're late.. I awake with a start, stretching and breathing in deeply, as if coming back alive from the dead. My body was heavy, and my head hurt. I sit up more suddenly, becoming aware of the darkening skies above me. The sun beginning to already set. I'm dead! I shoot up from the ground, falling back down instantly, then trying to shake off the dazed feeling. I stopped briefly, seeing that Patrick wasn't on the ground anymore. A small puddle of blood from where he last laid, and a few drops that trailed up. My eyes finished trailing up to the sewer opening that was merely feet away.. though no blood led to it, I couldn't help but get this ominous feeling that.. Patrick didn't just get up and walk away. I stared out into the dark void that led to the underground pipe system, unable to break free.

   Shit! I gotta get my bike! I look at the sky, changing my mind and running in the opposite direction. I'll have to get it tomorrow. I didn't want to, but I knew it was better than being even later than I already was. I looked up the path splitting, I needed to go straight, but to the left was a path that led up to the cliffs. That was where most go swimming, nearby kids anyways. The older kids sometimes go on the other side. I used to go up there with my mother. We'd have picnics, just the two of us. I look away from the path curtly, continuing in my haste home.

   I dread the walk up the stairs, even entering the house as I eyed the truck in the driveway. The living room light on still.

"Where the fuck have you been!?" I yelp out as glass shatters beside my head against the wall. I duck, closing the door behind me as my father wasted no time in his interrogation. I avoid eye contact, keeping my eyes down and already make my way for the hand broom and dustpan to clean up the mess.

"I got held up.." I vaguely answer, not even bothering to come up with anything. He scoffed out pitifully.

"By gettin' yer ass kicked, you mean." I don't bother giving him a look, sweeping up the shards and discarding them in the trash that was in the kitchen. I almost jump, seeing my father standing right beside the doorway to the living room and kitchen. His hand reaches out, grabbing hold of my jaw with a tight grip, inspecting the wounds.

"So, what'chu do to cause this? Was it a boy?" His eyes narrowed darkly, his tone suggestive and assuming. I glared at the wall behind his head.

"No." I answer dryly. His grip tightens.

"So a girl beat you up like that? Now, either you think I'm a fool or, I need'a teach you how to really take some hits." I stop myself from looking at him in reaction, finding either direction as a loose-loose. It was just a question of, which one did I lose more in. I debated my options, trying to come up with the best course of action to take. I could just run, run as far from here as possible. I could set the house on fire while he's asleep..

"Well?!" I flinched from the spit flying in my face.

"Some new kid was being picked on by Bowers.." I suggest, trying not to let my hate seep out too much. Despite knowing that, he was drinking buddies with Henry's daddy. Even if they hated each other.

"You let your ass get kicked.. by Oscar's boy..?" I knew better than to argue back, even if that's not how the story went, even more so because had I fought Henry and won, I'd still end up in this predicament, cause then it would be me beating on his buddies son. No matter what, I always fucking loose.

"There's four of the-!" I grunt, as I was knocked to the side, quickly followed by a knee to the gut.

"Had I had a boy, he'd a learn to fight the right fuckin' way. I told your mother if you were gonna grow up to be whore like her mama, then the least she could do is learn to fight like a man then too! It ain't too late, by the time I'm done with ya, you'll be able to actually hold yer own against the lil shit." One would almost mistake this for him showing love and affection, but he's not. I had just signed a regular beating, something I receive anyways only now, now they'll hurt worse.