Prologue

Prologue

Ryder

I am infinite.

The humans I'm watching right now would have difficulty grasping this concept—they're so wrapped up in life and death, they don't see that there is so much . . . more.

I like the humans, though. They're an entertaining civilization—so full of themselves and what they deem to be important. Many believe there are other worlds out there—that life might exist elsewhere.

If only they knew what I knew. The Universe that extends beyond this small planet is just as infinite as I am. Worlds without end populate space, planets bursting with vibrant life—it's almost too much to take in.

Don't get me wrong, though. There is darkness, too—places that bring terror to all who come in contact with it—entire societies hanging on by a heart-breaking thread.

In fact, that's what brings many others, as well as me, here to observe this planet. It's one of the "in-betweens," bordering somewhere in the middle as far as galaxies are concerned, with equal opportunity to become either great and powerful, or to self-destruct.

Yes, humans would be terrified if they knew not only are they not alone in the Universe, but we are here, living among them, like humans, also.

I am not human. I am a Wanderer. Yet, in all the eons I've roamed, this is the first time I've ever felt at home.

And it's all because of her.