SEVENTEEN

"D–D–dad..." Your voice was horse and broken.

"Kid," Tony breathed out in relief as he sat down on the bed.

Tony leaned over and grabbed the nearby pitcher and cup, pouring water into the cup. He slipped a straw from the bedside table into the cup before holding it up to you. You took a long sip of water. The water stung slightly as it rushed down your throat.

"Th—Thank—Thanks."

"Of course." He set the cup down.

"I'm—I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about, kid. None of this was your fault."

Your eyes filled with tears. "I missed you, Dad..."

Tony held his arms out. "May I?" You quickly launched yourself at him, holding him tightly. He reciprocated the tightness as his arms wrapped around you. "I missed you so much, Y/N... I was so scared. We all were... I'm so sorry that we didn't get to you sooner."

"...It's okay..."

"No, it's not..." He pulled away enough to where his hands were resting on your arms. "And that's okay. Just... know that I will do anything to earn your forgiveness." You nodded, glancing nervously around the room. "What can I help you with, sweetheart?"

You flinched. "Please don't—" Your voice broke. "Please don't call me that."

"Call you, what? Sweetheart?"

Once again, you flinched, almost instantly hearing Dr. M's voice instead of Tony's. "Sweetheart," you whimpered. "Please don't call me that."

"Okay," Tony quickly nodded, seeing how much you were shaken up by a simple nickname. "I won't call you that anymore, I promise."

"It's not your fault," you mumbled. "It's what... He's what he called me..."

"Who?"

You shook your head. "I– I– I can't..."

"When you're ready."

"I... I think I want to see the others now."

"Are you sure?"

"As sure as I'll ever be..."

Tony waited a moment, like he was waiting for you to change your mind, before heading for the door. You sat there, wringing your hands together as you tried to push down the emotions that were swirling inside you.

"Y/N!" Pepper gasped as she rushed in. She went to hug you but quickly pulled back.

"It's okay, Pep," you told her.

"I don't want to over step–"

"Pep, I need one of your hugs."

She was quick to hug you and you were quick to hug her back. Tears pricked your eyes as you kept her close while others filed into the room. Pepper was the closest thing you had to a mother, and she knew that. Sensing that you didn't want to be the first to break the hug, Pepper pulled back. She gave you a small smile before walking around the bed and sitting down beside it. A bouquet of flowers caught your eye as you looked away from Pepper. Steve was the last one to enter the room with a large bouquet of your favorite flowers in hand. His eyes met yours and you quickly averted yours, looking at everyone else's saddened looks. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. Everyone's emotions and thoughts were penetrating your mind, and you were doing your best with pushing them away but it was taking a lot out of you.

"These are for you," Steve said as he came over and handed you the bouquet.

"Thanks," you gave him a small as you took the flowers. "My favorite."