2nd Chapter

[Marina's POV]

After I dropped my brother off, I met up with Sara, Carter, and Kayla. We went to a nearby coffee shop for some cake and coffee. Carter sat beside me, with Sara and Kayla sitting across from us.

"So, you know how I had physics earlier?" I ask, taking a bite of my cheesecake.

"Mhm," they all hum.

"Well, turns out Tarina's in the same class." Kayla gasps in shock, Sara almost spits out her coffee, and Carter looks at me wide-eyed.

"Yeah, apparently she didn't transfer schools; she was just sick for the past few weeks. But the worst part is coming. Since none of you are in that class and I really didn't feel like talking to anyone else, I kept the seat next to me free."

"Oh god," Carter says, while Kayla mutters, "No, no, no," with her mouth full of apple pie, muffling the words with her hand.

"And guess what? She took that exact seat." I finish my cheesecake and shift my focus to my cappuccino.

"But what happened?" Sara asks, curiosity written all over her face.

"Did you guys talk?" Kayla adds.

"They had to. They're seat partners," Carter chimes in, glancing between Sara and Kayla as I nod.

"She acted like it was a good thing, but I didn't really pay her any attention. I just focused on class."

"You didn't really? So you kinda did," Sara teases, and I give her a deadpan stare.

Carter and Kayla start laughing. "She's got a point, you know," Carter says between chuckles.

"No, she doesn't. Look, I've been done with her, I am done with her, and I will always be done with her."

"You better be. She wouldn't deserve you in a hundred different universes," Carter says warmly.

"Oh, I know, but that doesn't mean I can't fuck around with her a little." I laugh.

"As long as you don't mean that literally," Kayla shrugs, and Sara laughs, adding, "No, but seriously."

I roll my eyes playfully. "I don't plan to, although she still looks fine," I say, and Carter bumps my shoulder.

"Alright, I'm heading out. I wanna hit the gym before getting to school stuff."

"Mar doing homework? What parallel universe have I just entered?" Carter asks, a glimpse of sarcastic shock in his tone.

I chuckle and go pay my part of the bill. Once I get home, I quickly change into my workout clothes and head out.

Working out is my therapy - pure focus, a goal to achieve, pushing myself, and letting out all my emotions.

At the gym, I finish a set of bicep curls when a girl with ginger hair approaches me. I've seen her around before, but we've never talked. I take off my headphones, curious, drinking water while I wait for her to speak.

"You come here often," she says.

"Why go to the gym if you're not consistent with it?" I reply, smirking.

"That's true." She smiles.

"So, you just came up to tell me that?" I ask, clearly rhetorical.

"When are you done with your workout?" she asks, squinting slightly.

"Now, why would that concern you?" I tease playfully.

"Just text me when you're done." She hands me a small piece of paper.

I smirk, taking it from her. "You came prepared, huh?" I ask sarcastically. She gives me a wink before walking away.