9th Chapter

[Marina's POV]

It's 7 a.m., and despite barely sleeping, I'm oddly full of energy. Typical. I throw on some joggers and a hoodie, ready for my usual Sunday morning run. This routine has become sacred - like clockwork, no matter how restless the night before was.

The crisp morning air fills my lungs, cutting through the haze in my head. I pop my headphones in, the bass pulsing through me as I start along my usual route, weaving through the quieter streets. The city's still waking up, and there's a certain peace to it - a rare moment of calm in the chaos that is downtown L.A.

My sneakers tap rhythmically against the pavement, echoing off the empty storefronts as I pick up the pace, my legs moving on autopilot. The familiar buildings blur past as I head toward Grand Park, where the trees sway gently, and the grass is still wet with morning dew.

I love this stretch of the run, especially when the city is still yawning. It's a reminder that not everything is always rushing, that there's space to breathe, to just exist for a while before everything goes back to being loud and overwhelming.

Crossing into the park, I push myself a little harder, my breath matching the beat of the music. My mind wanders, as it always does during these runs. I think about everything and nothing at all - the perfect distraction from the chaos in my life.

I pick up speed, pushing my body to its limits. The sweat starts to cling to my skin, but I welcome it. It's almost meditative, how running can strip everything away - thoughts, worries, everything. Just me, the pavement, and the steady rhythm of my breath.

As I round the fountain at Grand Park, I slow my pace slightly. The morning sun peeks over the skyscrapers, casting long shadows across the grass. A few early risers walk their dogs or sip coffee on benches, but mostly, it's just me. And I like it that way. There's something about the quiet that lets me clear my head, as if the world pauses for a while just to let me run.

I glance down at my phone, checking my time. Not bad - faster than last week. I could push for another round, but my muscles are starting to burn, and I know better than to push myself too far. No use being a hero when you're already on thin ice with sleep.

Turning back toward the main street, I retrace my steps through the quieter parts of downtown. I pass the corner bakery where the scent of fresh bread teases the air, making my stomach growl. I'll need to stop by there later for a coffee and maybe something sweet.

By the time I reach my block, the city's fully awake - cars honking, people rushing to wherever they need to be. The noise doesn't bother me anymore; it's like background music. After living here for so long, I've learned how to tune out the chaos.

I slow to a walk as I approach the entrance to my apartment building, breathing hard but feeling more awake than I have all week. I punch in the door code and step inside, the coolness of the lobby hitting me instantly. The sound of my sneakers squeaking against the polished floor is oddly comforting.

Back in my apartment, I strip off my hoodie, tossing it onto the couch. The early morning light filters through the blinds, casting soft shadows across the living room. I glance at my reflection in the hallway mirror - flushed cheeks, sweaty hair sticking to my forehead. Not exactly glamorous, but whatever.

I head to the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. The cold liquid slides down my throat, refreshing, as I lean against the counter. The quiet hum of the apartment surrounds me. For a moment, I just stand there, soaking it all in - the stillness, the small victory of finishing my run.

I glance at the clock. Still early. Maybe I'll shower and then grab that coffee from the bakery. Or maybe I'll just collapse on the couch and zone out for a while.