How are you?

I wipe away my tears with a napkin as I keep thinking about what just happened.

I knew that succubi can accidentally transmit any kind of emotion if they're not careful. And I think what just happened was exactly that.

This makes me think about other things I've read on the Infernal Web. Like those two times I felt unwell after Verosika had a drink.

These things happen when a succubus' or incubus' physical or mental state is compromised.

Physically, Verosika looks like a flower, so it must be the latter.

What could be wrong with her?

I pour myself a glass of water while reflecting, trying to connect the dots and figure out more.

I need to think deeply if I want to get anywhere. Consider all the details of her behavior, and the things she says.

The first interesting clue is something she said yesterday when I dragged her back into the house.

"I need to forget that bastard."

And I can link it to something I said that triggered an unusual reaction in her.

It was when I told her I ran into that unpleasant guy whose name had a silent vowel.

People don't just clench their fists on the table for no reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if... that guy had the same name as her ex.

What was his name... Blitzo? You know, with the silent "o."

It's possible, but even if it were true, I don't think that alone would explain Verosika having experienced something traumatic enough to compromise her mental state.

Or maybe it would...

What could he have done to her? Broken her heart? Too simple. Maybe he mistreated her, maybe even hit her. It could be anything.

Maybe I should stop thinking about it so much.

In a way, I find it pleasant spending time with this girl.

I don't like playing detective, making deductions as if I were a private investigator spying on her.

The right thing to do would be to ask her directly.

But I can't just act like a detective and start asking these questions. Not like this, not now, and especially not without the right context. I don't feel ready for that.

If I were being honest, I could say to her, "Hey, I'd like to get to know you better. Why does this song make you so sad?"

I suddenly put my hands over my mouth, afraid I said it out loud. Luckily, I was only thinking it.

Do I really mean that?

Well, it's not important right now. But I do really want to help her.

I pour her a glass of water and head back to the room.

She's gently strumming the guitar strings, sitting cross-legged on the bed.

She's plucking the strings so softly that I couldn't even hear it from the kitchen.

«Here, Verosika, remember you need to stay hydrated,» I place the glass on the nightstand beside her. «How's your liver, by the way?»

Verosika plucks a few more strings before answering, «It still hurts a little, but it's very bearable, almost didn't notice it this morning.»

«You mean it's hurting again now?»

She keeps plucking the strings and waits a few seconds before replying, «A little, yeah.»