Chapter 11; Family Dinner

The table was bigger, to Rin's specific specifications. There were six seats with place cards on each. Rin was to Egyn's left with Séan on his other side. Yukio was next to Séan with a blank card next to him and then Samael on Rin's other side.

Egyn nodded at the spread of food. The smell brought him back to the warm sands of his home when Rin was just a babe at his legs trying to get some of the freshly cooked pork off his plate.

Kalua pork, grilled fruit and vegetable skewers, white rice, a bowl of edamame, a big bowl of borscht, and an empty bowl sat on the table.

Rin - "Hi Dad, I just finished the soft boiled eggs. Could you get some fresh seasalt, please."

Egyn - "One moment."

After swirling a bit of conjured seawater around, Egyn's hands held a fair amount of fresh sea salt. Rin scooped it up in six tiny bowls before saving the rest in a pretty shell salt shaker he found on sale. The summer heat was finally dying off so most of the beach themed decor was going on sale. Rin was going to go feral decorating their dorm room.

Mephisto - "Eins Zwei Drei, I have arrived! Those humans were particularly exhausting, please don't make me have to rewind like that again...it gives me a dreadful headache when it's a rush. It smells absolutely delightful in here!"

Rin - "Thank you Sammy. It's a little bit from everyone's shared cultures. The main dish is from Akamaru, I got some Japanese sides and Yukio said he'd bring some pickled vegetables from the 7/11, a soup from Séan's Russian uncle, and apple and peach strudels for dessert."

Egyn - "Rin, who is our mystery sixth guest? This card is blank."

Rin - "Someone I invited personally. He'll be arriving with Yukio. Séan said he'd be here before Yukio with emergency supplies. I already told him not to make a huge deal and I'm telling you too, please do not make a big deal tonight. Yukio is telling that to our guest as well."

Egyn - "Very well, I won't make a fuss. I will however protect you should this guest react in an unsavory manner."

Mephisto - "My, how big of you brother. I remember you being much more shrewd in your judgment of others, now, after sixteen years of being a father, you fold like a soggy paper sack at your beloved child's beck and call."

Egyn - "Samael you -"

Rin - "Dad, wait until after dinner to murder Sammy. Family dinner means all present family must be in attendance. That includes Uncle Sammy."

Egyn grumbled and let his indignation fizzle out. Samael held back the cuteness aggression that seized his soul. Instead of making a comment about his new (and much adored) title, he shrugged off his jacket and sat in his seat at the rounded dining table. Egyn did the same.

Rin - "Would you guys prefer milk, juice, soda, water, tea, or coffee to drink?"

Samael - Very specific list, coffee my dear nephew. No sugar and just a touch of milk."

Egyn - "I'll take a glass of both water and juice. You brought the pineapple guava juice, yes?"

Rin - "Guinevere gave me a pitcher to share with those from the mainland."

Egyn - "Such a thoughtful woman."

The door burst open revealing Séan with a bag from the market.

Séan - "I'M HERE MOTHA- heeey Mr. Shizoku! Heh heh, you're uh, early."

Séan was sweating nervously.