Chapter 40

Xue Yang and Wei Wuxian sat by the flickering campfire, its warm light dancing across their faces but failing to dispel the cold distance between them. The food they had been cooking lay forgotten on the fire, the flames casting erratic shadows as they simmered.

The silence stretched on, thick and heavy. Xue Yang stared at the fire, his eyes distant and haunted. He took a deep breath, the sound a mix of resignation and profound sorrow. "He was supposed to be my omega," Xue Yang finally said, his voice breaking the silence. "I treated him like trash, all because of Meng Yao's manipulations. I pushed my omega away, harshly and without remorse."

Wei Wuxian remained silent, the weight of the words sinking in. He felt like a passive observer, caught in the storm of emotions and regrets that Xue Yang was grappling with. There was nothing he could say to alleviate the pain or offer solace. The reality was that Xue Yang's actions had been irreparable, and now, the consequences were evident.

Xue Yang's gaze remained fixed on the fire, but his expression was a twisted mask of anguish. "I close my eyes," he continued, his voice trembling with suppressed grief, "and all I see is him...crying in pain, begging for help as they..." His voice cracked, and he couldn't continue. The pain he felt was raw, palpable. Tears welled in his eyes, shimmering with the agony of his regrets.

In a sudden, uncontrolled outburst, Xue Yang sprang to his feet and kicked the stump he had been sitting on. The impact sent it tumbling away, the firelight flickering wildly as if mirroring his turmoil.

The act was violent but cathartic, a release of the pent-up frustration and self-loathing that had consumed him. Xue Yang stood there, breathing heavily, his back turned to Wei Wuxian. His shoulders shook with the weight of his emotions, each breath a ragged reminder of the grief he was struggling to contain.

Wei Wuxian watched in silence, feeling a mix of empathy and helplessness. He knew that no words could undo the past or heal the wounds inflicted on Mo Xuanyu. The path forward was fraught with pain and uncertainty, and Xue Yang's struggle was just one part of a larger, painful narrative.

---

The journey was enveloped in a heavy silence as they traveled through the night, the moon casting a pale glow over their path. The night air was cool and crisp, and the quiet hum of the forest accompanied their steps. They encountered several vengeful spirits along the way, and each time, they worked together to dispel them, their combined efforts keeping the malevolent forces at bay.

As the hours passed, Wei Wuxian's thoughts began to swirl. The familiar sense of unease settled in as he realized their destination. "Why Lotus Pier?" Wei Wuxian finally asked, his voice tinged with apprehension. "I will not be welcomed there. If he sees me, he'll whip me to death."

Xue Yang glanced at him, his face unreadable. "Don't worry. He won't kill you."

Wei Wuxian huffed, his lips forming a stubborn pout. Xue Yang's gaze lingered on him for a moment before he quickly looked away, his expression a mix of emotions he chose not to reveal.

As they approached the gates of Lotus Pier, the doors began to open, just as they had done countless times before when Wei Wuxian returned from a hunt. The familiarity of the gesture, the sight of the gates parting for him, felt surreal and disorienting.

He followed Xue Yang in silence, the journey through the gates feeling like a step back in time. They made their way towards the meeting room, where the presence of several key figures awaited them.

Inside the meeting room, Wei Wuxian saw his brother, Jiang Cheng, seated at the lotus-shaped chair, his posture tense and his hands fiddling nervously. The room was filled with notable faces: Nie Huaisang, Mian Mian, Clan Leader Ouyang with his son, and Lan Wangji with Lan Sizhui. The sight of them all together, the air thick with anticipation and emotion, made Wei Wuxian's heart race.