Chapter 5.27 - Findings / Ava Savanus 3

Mod, Arsenal, and Athena raced through the underground tunnels and away from the still-struggling Golden Boy.

Ever since Emmett was young, he'd been cataloging the powers of superheroes and villains and compiling them into his own personal database. Public databases and websites often didn't list the known weakness and limitations of supers, and even private forums were monitored and sanctioned. Footage and eyewitness accounts of battles never stayed up on the web for long.

Even after becoming a cyborg, Emmett had never stopped adding to his database.

Originally, it had been usually easier to find information about higher profile supers—those in Class 3, 4, and 5—than it was to find info about lower-level supers. Since Emmett started working as a mask, now information about Class 1 and 2 supers like Zanté, Green Mask, Feedback, and Duplicity were stored alongside world-shakers like Paragon and Amarque.

Now that he was tangling with supers like Golden Boy, Emmett might even use his database, rather than simply adding to it.

Mod, Arsenal, and Athena stayed underground for most of their journey, finally surfacing near downtown. Then they slowly and methodically walked the streets back to Athena's apartment—

All the while trying not to flinch as drones flew overhead.

They didn't relax until they climbed into the apartment and shut the window. Despite the magic cloaking the apartment, no one wanted to turn on the lights. Mod and Arsenal slumped down onto the floor while Athena leaned heavily on the kitchen counter.

Mod recalled their nanites, and the two pulled off their mask and helmet as they lay beside each other. His heartbeat finally started to slow.

"Holy shit," Clara muttered. "How did you know that would work?"

"I... I didn't. Not for sure."

Clara slapped his arm weakly. "I wasn't talking to you."

TINA spoke up from Emmett's phone on the table. "I was reasonably certain it would work. I double-checked my Summit records and Emmett's database. Golden Boy lacks an easy method of getting the nanites off his skin. He also wanted to bring us in alive and without collateral damage."

"It won't work again. Someone will give him a countermeasure. Wight or the Brotherhood..." Emmett trailed off.

Athena sighed. "And my powers can't contain him. TINA was right though—getting the jump on him worked."

"We can't get caught again," Emmett muttered.

"I'm sorry... It was my fault. I stayed connected to the lab for too long. That was how the Brotherhood located us."

Athena waved a hand. "What's done is done. We will learn and come out the better for it."

Emmett asked, "Was it worth it?"

"Yes. I know what the Brotherhood is planning. You might want to sit down for this."

Emmett scoffed a laugh from the floor. Athena walked over to the couch and laid down. Clara stayed silent and stared up at the ceiling.

"While connected to the lab, I was able to find several key points of interest:

"First, the Brotherhood means to use the lab as a base of operations. They will not be leaving anytime in the near future. This complicates our plans. I believe that Dr. Venture and my original copy meant for us to regain control of the lab at some point, but that will be exceedingly difficult with Midas's involvement.

"Second, I believe the Binary Brotherhood means to take control over the Allied States, and eventually, the world."

The group let out a mixture of sighs and groans.