CHAPTER FIVE: Coincidence

-Shelley-

"'George,' I see your daughter is back home. You must be very happy."

My Dad beams as he responds to his friend. "Yes, I am. Can't you see I am wearing my favourite attire?" Saying this, both men laugh hysterically.

Mr. Agyepong shifted his attention from my Dad to me, leaning in with a curious expression on his face. "So, young lady, tell me, how's life treating you in the capital? Is it everything you hoped it would be?"

I shifted my gaze to him and responded, "Well, not entirely, but manageable."

He nodded in agreement as he pondered my answer. "That is a great answer, my dear. Life is indeed anything but manageable. Take my son, for instance..." "Oh, my goodness, here we go," I thought as I eagerly awaited the conclusion of that statement. "He has been thriving since relocating to Georgia."

"He is doing very well in the army. The last time I spoke to him, he did say he had been promoted to captain. He is also seeing a certain lady. Something about being in a relationship with her. She is beautiful, right, Mary? Tell them, wasn't she?"

Mr. Agyepong eagerly looked at his wife, anticipating her contribution to the conversation. However, she ignored him and instead complimented my mom.

"That is a lovely bracelet, Julia."

"Oh! Thank you. I thought no one took notice of it as she answered excitedly." She awkwardly fumbles with the bracelet.

"It matches so well with your dress."

You are so kind. My husband got it for me for my birthday.

With the wine glass lifted to Mrs. Agyapong's lips, she says, "Surely, George, you have good eyes."

Beaming with pride, he says, "Surely I do try."

Just as I felt the conversation couldn't get any more awkward, Sarah leaned in and asked, "Shelley, do tell, are there any men in your life?" With the background music growing louder, I chose to ignore her question, subtly steering the conversation in a different direction.

"Sorry! Did you say something? These kebabs are simply delicious."

Getting up from the table, I apologised and emphasised the need to visit the ladies' room.

As I made my way to the ladies' room, I bumped into a gentleman at the staircase.

"So sorry, I didn't see you."

"There was no need to apologise, says the man, "and neither did I..."

Wait, I know that voice. "'Mr. Adams,' what are you doing here?"

"Shelley, what on earth are you doing in a place like this?" he asked, clearly taken aback by my unexpected presence.

"I could ask you the same thing, Mr Adam."

"It's a bit too loud in here. Can we talk on the terrace?" He slowly led me to the terrace.

'Much better here. I thought you were home with your parents,' he said.

"And I thought you were in the capital. How is it that you are here? Can you explain that to me? I asked.

Adjusting himself by the rail, he replies, "Well, I was, but I have to make my way here this morning for an unplanned meeting with the manager of this hotel.

"You see, this place was recently opened to the general public, and the management needed some legal advice. I was called in to help, which was suggested by a friend of mine. It came on such short notice that I couldn't refuse. That's why I am here. For a business meeting. What about you? By the way, you look gorgeous."