CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: Family drama

-Adam-

Mr. MarQueen is the founder and partner at the law firm where I work. Since I passed the bar, Mr. MarQueen has served as a mentor and father figure to me. After learning about my father's adultery and abuse of my mother, I have always sought Mr. MarQueen's advice and have never been turned away. When the time came for me to seek legal representation for my mom in the divorce case against my father, I naturally turned to Mr. MarQueen, a renowned Boston lawyer I trust, who happens to be my boss. However, I have become uncertain about the relationship between Mr. MarQueen and my mother after discovering that he and my mom have been spending time together even when his presence is not required.

"I wonder if there is something more going on between him and my mom," I think to myself. "It's not like I would dislike it if something was happening between the two. After all, Mr MarQueen is by far a better man than my father ever was or will be. Although he was previously married, he is now a widower due to the death of his wife in an accident. Since then, he has chosen to remain single. It's not that women haven't been showing interest in him; rather, he prefers to stay that way. He still wears his wedding ring to deter most women. However, the persistent ones stick around, hoping to win his affection someday."

I need to contact Mr. MarQueen and ask about his visit to my mom. Was that visit only for business, or was there something more to it? By the way, I did promise my mom that I would call my father. Feeling a bit irritated, I said to myself, "I should just go ahead and do it."

With the phone in hand, I dialled his number and waited patiently for an answer.

"Hello. I have tried reaching out to you multiple times, but it seems like you're not getting my messages. I understand that our relationship has its challenges, but I am still your father."

"Please don't be so bold as to tell me who you are. I could care less about you. Why on earth would you contact my mom when the judge has ordered your attorney to do that on your behalf whenever you wish to talk to her? Has the restraining order that was served to you slipped your mind? You will regret it if you ever do that daring thing again, I promise. Have some self-awareness, man."

"I didn't intend to call her. I really need your help. My lawyer quit, and I need someone to represent your brother. The company he works for is falsely accusing him of embezzling funds. He's completely innocent in this."

"Are you sure he is innocent in this? After all, he is your son."

"I may be many things, but stealing is not one of them. And let's not forget that I am your father. Are you suggesting that you take after me?"

I retort sharply, my voice tinged with bitterness, "As much as I hate that your blood runs through me, I will never be like you. Furthermore, with the upcoming trial and the merger negotiations on my plate, I am unable to assist you. It's in your best interest to seek legal counsel elsewhere."

"Oh right, you lack the financial resources to hire a new lawyer. Such a shame." I teased.

"Listen, I know you hate me, but please don't get your brother involved in this. He is innocent in all this." Cutting him off I say, "He is no brother of mine. I want nothing to do with you or him. Don't you ever call me again? I don't care what happens to him, but if you ever call my mom again without a legal representative, I will make sure you share a cell with your son." Just then, I cut the call.

"I can't believe that guy had the audacity to ask me for such a big favour, especially after everything he has put our family through."

-Writer POV-

Ben found himself in the center of the living room, seething with anger and squeezing his hand into a tight fist. It was unfathomable to him that his father would have the audacity to seek his assistance after subjecting their family to such turmoil. From the mistreatment of his mother to the infidelity and the subsequent scandal that had tarnished their family's reputation once it became public, it had ultimately led to his decision to change his last name.