Chapter 57

Percy

"Stop!"

Luke's voice rang out around the cave, pausing everyone's activities. It was a good thing in some ways, seeing as though if his demigods had continued fighting, Piper and Hazel would have been pushed off into the ocean; Frank was already a crumpled heap by the wall; Leo was restrained, trying desperately to get loose to no avail; Jason—he was lying on the floor, silent except for ragged breaths escaping his pale lips. He didn't look too good, and the bandage I think Annabeth had managed to put on him wasn't doing much for the blood. And speaking of Annabeth, she was being held by one of Luke's men, a dagger placed menacingly against her neck... so, yeah. Maybe we weren't in the best of shape right now.

But I still wanted to continue my duel, so I could bash Luke upside the head. However, there was no way in Hades I would do that if it meant risking Annabeth's life. We all stood frozen, and the demigod holding Annabeth said something quietly to her. She scowled, not doing anything. Then the dagger at her throat pressed closer, and she grimaced, dropping her blade to the floor. It wouldn't have been very helpful, anyway. More of Luke's men were surrounding her, plus some dracanae and laistrygonians.

"Percy," Luke said calmly, smirking at me. I hated that smirk. "Put down Riptide." I glared at him, but he sent a glance towards Annabeth's direction and I picked up on the subtle threat he was issuing. I grit my teeth, following Annabeth's actions. The clang as Riptide struck the ground echoed across the walls.

"Thank you," Luke said.

I glowered at him in reply.

"So, since someone—" Luke put an emphasis on someone and narrowed his eyes at Hazel, who stood defiant under his gaze, "—decided to throw the entrails into the sea, I need you to get them for me." I knew his next words before he voiced them. "Or she dies." He gestured with his sword towards Annabeth, who was watching quietly. I swallowed, rage and helplessness coursing through me, and I almost wanted to just give up and drown (well, I can't drown. So maybe lie down in defeat?). I couldn't make this decision, and I didn't want to. Annabeth or Greece?

I met Annabeth's steely grey eyes, and she looked determined. Her stormy orbs told me to do what was right: save Greece, let her go. Do the right thing.

My mind flashed back to years before. Calista had the same expression on her face before I lost her. My sister's death almost tore me in two. I wanted to die along with her. But somehow I managed to move along until I met Annabeth, who patched me up and filled the emptiness with such a rich and warm and breathtaking love. If Annabeth died... no. I would never get over it, especially since I would be the one responsible for it. I'd never forgive myself.

I looked back at Luke, who was sneering, knowing how much anguish he was putting on me. "Better choose quickly, Percy. I'm not that patient."

Jason was still down, along with Frank. Hazel and Piper looked like they both wanted to rush to the two boys, but they couldn't move without the demigods attacking. Annabeth just kept staring at me, her eyes telling me to let go and do the right thing.

I squeeze my own eyes shut, running my fingers through my hair. Why me? Why do I have to make this choice? Why do I have this responsibility?

Just asking all the "whys" won't help, I told myself. I have to make this decision. The world was on my back, and the girl was in my heart. No, she was my heart. She wasn't just an inkling of it. She was everything to me, and I had to decide on her life right now.

I brought my gaze once more to Annabeth. Gods, she was so beautiful, and strong and amazing. And here Luke was, threatening to take her from me. Her grey eyes peered into mine, her body still as a rock except for the puffs of breath that made her chest rise.