Chapter 44: Allies Reunited?

The man approaches me, holding out his hand. "You okay, buddy?" he says.

I look at him. His blue mask fades to green, and his blue aura flickers out. "Vesper rocks," I reply.

The man is startled. "What?" He examines me closely. "Wait..." He reaches for my hood, but I grab his hand. "Don't touch me, Damian."

The man's eyes widen in shock. "Ethan?" He pulls off his mask, revealing a familiar face.

"It's really you! How did you know it was me?" he asks.

I push myself up and say, "I saw your katana, 'Vesper.' Dead giveaway."

Damian chuckles softly. "Didn't expect this Unheard to put up such a fight." His expression shifts. "Still, good to see you—although I wish it were under better circumstances."

I stare at him, silent. "What's wrong?" Damian asks.

"You died, moron! That's what's wrong. How are you even alive?"

"Oh, right." He scratches the back of his head. "I probably should explain that." Before he can continue, I notice Ava lying on the ground.

"Ava!" I teleport to her side as Damian rushes after me.

"Ava, you okay, buddy?" I ask, shaking her gently.

Her eyes flutter, and she mutters, "Did we win? Or is this... heaven? Kinda dark for heaven, though."

I let out a laugh. "You had me worried for a second. We won."

Ava smirks weakly. "Guess I'm stronger than you now, partner."

"Even half-dead, you don't miss a chance to mock me," I say, shaking my head.

"Ugh, I'm just gonna lie here for a while," she mumbles, eyes drifting toward Damian. "Hey, you're that weird masked guy. Thanks for the assist."

Damian replies, "No problem. I'm happy to—"

She's already fast asleep.

I gently set her down. "Now, about that explanation?" I look back at Damian.

Damian sighs. "Yeah, I did die, Ethan. It wasn't exactly pleasant."

"Well, what changed?" I ask.

He smirks. "Let's just say I planned for the worst. Right before you... killed me, I had already conjured a clone. It was a perfect replica, designed to switch places with me at the moment of death. The real me slipped into a pocket dimension just before your final blow landed. The clone took the hit, while I waited in hiding, biding my time to return."

"It was a failsafe, should you ignore my warnings. And you did," Damian says.

"I was in a bad place," I respond, "and the people close to me weren't on my side."

"What you did was still wrong," Damian says.

"And what Magnus did wasn't?" I shoot back.

Damian's expression hardens. "I didn't say that. Magnus is a bastard who should be burning in hell for his crimes. But back then, it wasn't your role to punish him."

"That's what Amelia said too."

Damian reaches for my hood again, and I stop him. "Don't."

"Let me see it," Damian insists. He pulls back my hood, revealing my long white hair.

"How long?" Damian asks quietly.

"Since the big punishment," I reply.

Damian pulls me into a hug, catching me off guard. I don't resist in time.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there to help you through that pain," Damian says softly.

"That pain still runs through me to this day."

Damian lets go, looking me in the eyes. "Let go of that guilt. You're not to blame."

I shake my head. "That's not how Lumi sees it. I was banished, Damian. For trying to save my nation. Magnus wasn't banished for stealing it from me."

Damian sighs. "I agree that Lumi should've taken action against Magnus, but it's in the past now. Don't dwell on it. The past will eat you alive if you let it."

Suddenly, Ava appears beside me, interrupting the moment. "Okay, I'm done resting and gathered all the info from your little pep talk. Let's go back."

Suddenly, I feel something—something familiar.

Damian notices my reaction. "What's wrong, Ethan?"

I conjure a shadow stick and take a few steps forward. Damian chuckles.

Ava, puzzled, asks, "What's he doing?"

"Reuniting with an old ally," Damian replies.

I swing the stick in front of me. "Ouch!" a voice protests as a figure materializes beside me.

"I knew I sensed a Vega scent," I say.

The woman glares at me. "I never imagined our reunion would involve you hitting me with a stick!"

"Well, maybe you shouldn't be creeping around when your status is 'another fake-your-own-death bastard,'" I reply, casting a glance at Damian.

"So what's this?" I ask. "You dragged her into your twisted plan, too?"

Damian shrugs. "Actually, she asked me to do it. So, I did."

"Great," I say, shaking my head. "Two of my closest allies faked their deaths and left me in guilt, thinking I killed them." I sit down, disappointment weighing heavy.

I conjure a katana, holding it in front of me. "I'm gonna end myself now."

Amelia immediately grabs my hand. "Whoa! It wasn't my idea! Your brother dragged me into it, so I just... obliged!"

Damian grabs my other hand. "That's so not true! She said—no, wait—she demanded to be on board with my plan, so I let her join."

Ava watches us with a raised eyebrow. "You guys seem so close. I almost can't believe it."

Amelia grins. "Who's this attractive girl? Nice sense of style."

I introduce them. "Amy, this is Ava. My partner."

Amelia looks at me with mock offense. "You replaced me?"

I shrug. "It couldn't be helped. I can't stay partnered up with a dead person."

Amelia crosses her arms, pouting. "You meanie!"

Damian interrupts, "Well, this has been fun, but you guys should head back."

Ava glances at him. "You're not coming?"

Damian shakes his head. "I'd rather my 'death' stay hidden for now. Aria might actually kill me if she finds out."

I smirk. "Yeah... would be bad if your secret got out." I begin channeling Ava's power, creating a rift beneath us.

Damian looks at me, realization dawning. "You bastard—"

We fall into the rift and land in the main lounge of the Sovereigns' HQ.