Chapter 4: De Santa

Author's Note: We finally get to meet the rest of the De Santas! I really didn't want to drag it out too much. But if it was me, I'd probably take much longer to get myself together enough to confront Michael again.
-

Cassidy wakes up and goes through her morning routine. Business as usual.

Black coffee and cereal for breakfast.

"Imagine if I grew up with Michael. I want to live in a mansion."

Still being salty about her biological mom not reaching out to Michael just because she harbored hatred for her own dad.

Robert was a father figure in Cassidy's life. He just wasn't a good one.

"De Santa. What a fake ass last name."

"What's gonna happen once I reveal he has another kid he didn't know about?"

"Where would we even go from there? Am I going to be apart of the De Santas now? Would THEY even believe me?"

All very good questions but-

She shakes her head, trying to dispel those thoughts.

"Gotta focus on work right now. Deal with that shit later."

-

~Flashback, Year 2003~

Cassidy waits by the window for her mom to get home.

The window's really dirty but there is one spot where you can actually see outside.

I mean, you can't really expect much when you live in a trailer park.

"Mom was gone when I woke up. I really want to talk to her."

"Is Dad... really not MY dad?"

Couldn't focus in school today. Having that one statement stuck in her head.

"She's not even your real daughter."

Hearing a car pull up and watching as mom gets out of the car and waves goodbye to the driver as the car drives off.

"Mom, I-I wanted to ask you something." Cassidy says softly.

But she had already walked right past her into another room. Not even bothering to say hello.

Cassidy doesn't sleep at all that night.

~Flashback Ends~

-

The team didn't take the news well.

That wasn't surprising, considering Cassidy is assumed to be the "glue" of the team.

She laid an outline for what everyone needed to do.

Which was to get along. And work too I guess.

They were already ahead of schedule thanks to Cassidy just being that fucking good.

Having accumulated plenty of sick time due to putting in way too many hours and not taking much time off.

When you want to off yourself everyday, any kind distraction alleviates it just a bit.

"I technically wasn't lying when I told them I wasn't feeling too good."

She has finished just in time for it to hit PM.

"I should eat lunch then call my moms."

Looking in the fridge for anything still edible.

There was some Chinese food from a few days ago that smelled alright.