Fossil 14: Into the Unknown

The aftermath of the Battle of Trost lingered in the air like a heavy fog. It had only been a few days since the breach was sealed, but word of the battle had spread far and wide, making its way into every corner of the Walls.

Whispers about the impossible feat filled every tavern and alleyway, from the wealthiest districts to the most forgotten backstreets. The common folk couldn't stop talking about the titan that had fought for humanity.

"Heard about that titan they have been talking about?" a man asked his drinking companion in the smoky confines of a crowded tavern near Wall Rose. "Aye, but I'll believe it when I see it. A titan that helps people? That's as likely as the Walls growing legs and walking," the man replied, shaking his head with a deep frown.

Yet, others dared to hope, clinging to the story like a lifeline. For those who had faced the unrelenting terror of the Titans for years, the idea of a Titan fighting for them offered a glimmer of salvation.

"What if it's true?" a woman asked her neighbour, her eyes wide with optimism. "What if that Titan can help us take back more than just Trost?" she added. "If it's true..." a man in fine clothing murmured, grabbing his cup of tea.

"This titan might be the answer to our prayers to the end of this never-ending nightmare," he said before sipping his drink. "And this would be what can secure a future for my children," he added, making others nod at his words.

Scepticism and hope clashed within the Walls. People feared the Titans and everything they represented, yet the idea of one of them being on their side ignited a flicker of optimism.

But in the middle of this, Eren had been put on trial before the military's high command. Shortly after the battle, he was placed in a cell, awaiting the decision concerning his existence.

The courtroom was filled with tension, its air thick with conflicting agendas and emotions. The Military Police, who had long avoided the front lines, argued for Eren's execution. He was too dangerous to them, an unpredictable force that could turn on humanity at any moment.

The Garrison remained divided, unsure of what to make of Eren's Titan form. They had seen the destruction caused by the Titans firsthand, and trusting one of their own was a leap too far for some.

But others in their ranks, those who had seen Eren fight alongside them, believed he could be their greatest weapon. They had witnessed him lift the boulder, seal Trost, and save the district from total collapse.

And then there was the Survey Corps, represented by Commander Erwin Smith and Captain Levi, whose intentions were clearer. They had lobbied for Eren's life, insisting that he was not only worth saving but worth utilising.

In the end, it was decided, after much deliberation and a brutal display by Levi, that ensured Eren knew his place. Eren was placed under the care of the Survey Corps, a decision that left many within the military nervous yet hopeful.

At the Survey Corps headquarters, the evening sun filtered through tall, narrow windows, casting long beams of light over the stone floors. Inside, Commander Erwin Smith stood in his office, his gaze fixed on a map before him on a large wooden table.