Chapter 1

Olivin

Aelyn gave an irritated sigh. "Olivin, we've been at this for hours. Can't you just-"

"Can't I just WHAT, Aelyn?" I snapped. "Sorry."

"Tell the people what really happened. Tell them how Elowyn died."

I barked a laugh. "Tell the greater public how she died? Um, I'm good. I can just imagine how that press conference would go – 'Greetings, Citizens of Rythos. I have very sad news for you tonight; your fearless leader, Queen Elowyn Greene, who has stuck beside you through thick and thin; she who led you through the Battle of Elizibethia and brought you to this prosperous land – sadly has decided that she no longer wants to-"

Aelyn chucked a pillow at me. "Enough. I get it."

"Do you, though?"

She sighed again. "I suppose I don't. But that won't stop me from telling you to do this. As your Grand General, it's my responsibility to help you keep Rythos' best interests at heart."

She stood and grabbed the pillow she'd thrown at me. "Whatever you do, just know that, ultimately, you need to be thinking of the country, and the people who live here."

Aelyn fluffed the pillow, placed it back in the chair she'd theived it from, and started for the door. "Night, boss."

"Night," I grumbled.

She exited, leaving me to think about our conversation. I flopped onto the cushy green velvet couch, staring at the ceiling. I truly didn't know how to handle this. My 'heir to the throne training' had been non-existent, save for a few Council meetings I sat in on. Mother was supposed to start teaching me as soon as Elynn, my older half-sister, was married and out of the running, but she'd never gotten around to it. I was flying blind, and in my experience, that was a very good way to mess things up.

What did Aelyn know, anyway?

....Probably more than I did. She'd been my mother's Grand General for a really long time – like since the last century. Pre-Elizibethia. Aelyn would rule this island better than I would.

I groaned. This was not easy. It wouldn't ever be, based on my mother's grievances. I hadn't even begun to dig through her papers to see what in Death's name was going on in Rythos, let alone even called an introductory meeting of the Council. As much as I hated to admit it, the idea of being in charge of a country like Rythos was extremely daunting. My mother, Elowyn Greene, had founded this country. Founded. Not just ruled, but founded an entire civilization of people.

So no pressure.

I rolled over, staring at the cold fireplace. When my mother was on the throne, there had been fire everywhere. It was her summoning affinity, and she liked to surround herself with it, no matter the temperature. I contemplated lighting a fire for the heck of it, but decided the 85-degree weather wasn't the best for it.

I laid there, in that fog of thinkingnotthinking for hours until I finally fell asleep.

It was light out when my assistant shook me awake. "Your Majesty, you've received a letter."

"Gods, Lyssa," I grumbled. "What time is it?"
"Nine o'clock, Your Majesty."

Shoot. I was late for coffee with Syric and Dylos. "Letter? From who?"
Lyssa handed me a pale pink envelope with a red wax seal.

There was only one person I knew who still used the postal service and wax seals. I flipped the envelope over and, sure enough, Queen Katharine's delicate, feminine, loopy handwriting sat on the front in red ink.