Chapter 5

Dylos

"I want you to calm down-"
"YOU WANT ME TO CALM DOWN?!" He yelled at the beautiful Elven woman sitting across from him. "SHE JUST KILLED 900 OF MY SOLDIERS."

"You attacked her unprovoked," the woman said. "She is a very angry person. You should never have done that, Dylos. You're her friend. She would never do that to you."

He got angrier. "What do you know? You're only here because-"

The beautiful sylph-like woman's cheeks turned pink. "I am here because I love you, Dylos. I moved here because of you. Our wedding is in two months. If I did something to offend you, please tell me."

He didn't answer her. He hated this woman. Hated her for her beauty, her kindness, her inability to anger. She was the sun.

He did not want the sun.

She turned to the window, the actual sun casting her in gold. Her caramel skin practically glowed in the light. He hated to admit to her beauty.

He would miss that, and that alone when she was gone.

She turned back to him. "I want to know what's wrong, Dylos. Let me help you."
The way she said his name. It sickened him. He knew that his kind was not capable of eros, nor philia or agape.

His kind were not capable of love in any form.

The woman looked at him, her apple green eyes searching his for an answer, any answer at all. And when she found none, her shoulders sagged and she sighed.

"I wish you would-"

"Stop talking, Zadiah. You're just saying the same thing over and over again in different words. You are making no progress with these numerous synonyms and pleas."

She recoiled. He went on. "I cannot bear you being here anymore. Leave."
"Dylos-"
"LEAVE."

She bared her pointed canines at him. "You are not Dylos. You are something else. He's in there somewhere, but you've hidden him away from me. I will get him back, even if it's the last thing I do."

She stalked off toward the door, her airy white chiton fluttering around her legs. The bits of metal in her hair and her myriad of earrings clinked and tinkled as she moved.

He would not miss her when she was gone.

The mortal king pounded against the confines of his chamber and screamed to be let go.

"Quiet," he grumbled.

That only made the mortal king scream louder.

He gritted his teeth. He would not let the mortal king stop him.

He would destroy the mortal king.