XVI. | Will's Return

There is a saying 'blood is thicker than water'

There is a saying 'blood is thicker than water'. You don't get to decide, or choose, who your family is. Melissa Byers, is that her actual last name to go by now was one of her first thoughts after discovering she isn't Lonnie's daughter, is a woman who knew the quote was a heap of nonsense. Fate had brought her to an abrupt halt, in the life she had lived.

Dr. Martin Brenner walked on a thinning line of having the privilege to connect with his granddaughter. Milly had her focused glare on Dr. Brenner's back, electrical wiring in lights whirring from feedback as she stalked the hallways behind her grandfather.

Martin's sigh of resignation, giving up on trying to keep Melissa from viewing him as the bad guy, echo when he opens the narrow passage door to an old green tiled room.

" Jim. J..Jim."

Melissas voice carries in the enclosed space.

Hopper's eyes snap to hers, Martin watches Milly, as she leapt in his touch hugging him like her life was depending on the simple action. Jim checks for noticeable signs of harm to her, feeling an increasing anger towards her wrists bruised.

" I will be fine. Bruises heal, I'm okay."

Milly, hiding her wrists, assured hopper and his jaw ticks.

" That shouldn't have happen in the first place." He says, voice grave. " They hurt you, Mills. That's not fine. Not at all."

Dr. Brenner clears his throat.

" I'll have her looked at. But all I ask in return is for information. Where is the girl?" Milly's glare hardens. 'No way in hell is he touching El.' Jim, reading Melissa and her expression, caresses a thumb on a spot on her waist.

" You gotta give us your word. Nobody's ever gonna find out about this. Those other three kids, the three boys, you're gonna leave them alone." He affirmatively states.

" And I will promise to not kick your ass. For those bruises your people put on Melissa."

Jim clarified, rolling up Milly's coat sleeve. Violent purple and blue scarring is shown.