Chapter 4

Autumn's POV

Laying here in this bed, staring up at the ceiling, I couldn't stop the tears from falling. The more I thought about everything happening, the more I realized I couldn't keep doing this. I'll always love him, but I've known for a while that this was over. I guess I didn't want to believe it. I wanted to believe we could work it out and come out stronger for it, but I can feel it. It's over. 

I didn't want to be alone right now. I walked across the hall and softly knocked on the door, hoping Marjorie was still awake. I heard 'Come in,' and I opened the door. I watched as Marjorie sat up "What's wrong, My Love?" 

"I don't want to be alone right now," I said, stepping closer to the bed "Can I stay in here with you?" 

"Of course," she said softly, pulling the covers back for me. I climb in and turn so my back to her. I knew she was still watching me. I stayed silent for a few seconds before whispering, "It's over,"  barely able to get the words out. 

"What do you mean?" 

"Me and Winter, it's over. It has been for a while I just couldn't believe it, but today, he did something I never thought he would do. He walked away," I said, never moving. I felt the bed shift, and then I felt Marjorie's hand wrap around me. I never felt so safe, not even with Winter. Finally, I fell asleep crying in Marjorie's arms, knowing that tomorrow I would have to break his heart.

The morning came, and I realized I was now lying with my head on Marjorie's chest, my arms around her and her holding me tight. Looking up at her sleeping so peacefully, she looked ethereal. It hit me like a ton of bricks how right this felt, but knowing that it could never happen. 

I go to move, but as I do, her hold on me tightens. Looking back at her, she is still asleep. 

"Marjorie," I said to wake her up, nothing.

"Marjorie," I tried again, and she started stirring. 

"Hm, what?" she said, confused, as she opened her eyes, trying to get used to the sunlight coming through the window. When she does, she looks down and realizes the position we are in and that she is holding me in place.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said, quickly removing her hand. I moved to the edge of the bed but turned around to look at Marjorie "Thank you for last night,"

"You don't need to thank me, Autumn, I'm always here," We stayed like that for a moment, comfortable just being in each other's presence. After a few minutes, I got up to change. When I was done, I came back to Marjorie's room, and she was gone. I went downstairs and found her still in her pajamas, back facing me, making coffee, and for a moment, I wished this could be my life. 

"I made you your coffee. I know how you get when you aren't caffeinated," she smiled, sliding the cup across the island. 

"Thank you, Marjorie," 

"I will drop you off at home on my way to work since you are on the late shift today,"  she said, and I nodded in agreement, but I could see written on her face that she wanted to say something else.

"What is it, Marjorie?" I asked, knowing she wasn't going to say anything without me asking,

"What? Nothing," she insisted, but I knew better.

"Marjorie, I know when you are hiding something. Clearly, you want to say something just say it,"

She started to open her mouth but hesitated. Then she started again, "Well, I know Winter is on the late shift too, so he will be home. I was just wondering what you are going to say to him." She paused, looking down into her coffee before continuing, "You know, after what you said last night,"