Win You Back

"If you had a friend that you knew you'd never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it. Do it. Don't wait. Nothing lasts forever."

PRESENT

------

ATHENA

"So, your dad is really marrying Danica's sister, huh?" Sadie asked.

"Yep." I sighed.

"Inang buhay 'yan."

"I know, it sucks.''

We were both currently in my room lying on my bed.

I turned my head to look at her, I still couldn't get over her transformation, she was still beautiful, but really different from the friend I'd left three years ago.

"So, anong nangyare?"

I rolled my eyes at her fake confused expression and threw a pillow at her, '' You know what I mean, Sadie"

She sighed. "Life just started to plummet after you left, idiot.''

''Eh sainyo ni Gavin? Anyare?'' I asked her once again.

"Nakipag-hiwalay sakin eh, hindi nya raw kaya long-distance relationship, I understand that she had big dreams for herself and I couldn't be a part them. She's a good person, I will never say otherwise. She came back for Miraya's funeral and even stayed here for two weeks para icomfort ako."

I sniffled, "I'm so sorry you went through that, I wish I was here with you, Sadie."

"May idea kaba kung bakit ginawa ni Miraya 'yon?'' I couldn't bring myself to finish the sentence.

"Hindi ko alam kung bakit n'ya nagawa 'yon, Athena. I wish I had known so I could have done something about it, I was here all this time with her and yet hindi ko pa din nagawang pigilan s'ya, you have no idea how much it kills me every time I think that.'' She wiped her tear stained face with her trembling fingers.

I covered my mouth with my hand to muffle my sobs, at that moment I was feeling all of her pain.

For the first time in three years I actually regretted leaving, for the first time in three years I actually wished I'd been strong enough to stay.

That way, I would have been there for my friends when they were going through hell.

For the first time in three years my pain didn't seem important. With all my heart I wished I had been strong enough to overcome my pain so I could have been here and helped them overcome theirs.