Max, What's Wrong?

3 Years Ago

"Oh ba't malungkot ang Athena na yan?" Miraya nudged my shoulder lightly, her expression was etched with concern.

"Hindi ka pa kinakausap ni Max?" Sadie piped up.

I shook my head and sighed.

I knew something was wrong, Max never went that long without speaking to me, even when we were fighting.

"Ano ba talagang nangyare?" Miraya asked.

"I don't know, iniiwasan n'ya ko after that pool incident eh!'' My voice sounded small.

Miraya scowled, "She is so dead when I talk to her! No one hurts my Athena and gets away with it!"

I managed to smile, "Piste, wag man oy, please don't say anything to her, okay?'' She frowned but finally nodded.

Sadie bought her arm around my shoulder, "Ay sus, Athena, wala ka dapat ika-worry, si Max na 'yan eh, syempre maaayos n'yo yan."

I gave her a grateful smile.

She was right, I had nothing to worry about, everything would be fine.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Max's tall frame come into view.

"Ayan na s'ya, I'll go talk to her." I told my two friends and they both gave me encouraging smiles.

"Max!" I called out frantically, trying to dodge the never ending sea of students to get to her.

Her whole body tensed when I called out her name, she paused for a moment but started walking again, was it just me or was her pace actually faster now?

I finally reached her and grabbed her arm to stop her, she flinched away from my touch,my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Uy, Max, what's wrong?" I asked her softly.

She refused to meet my gaze.

"Wala, Athena." She spat out.

"Then bakit mo 'ko iniiwasan?" I asked her, my voice was determined.

"I need space."

"I've known you for ten years Max, tingin mo maniniwala ako jan? Tell me, what's really wrong?" I snapped.

She didn't answer me, instead she started walking away.

I blanched, I felt like she'd just slapped me, my anger overrode all of my other emotions, I grabbed her arm again.

"Max Jace Lewis! Don't you dare walk away from me!" I snapped angrily.

Her head snapped in my direction, her eyes were furious, she wretched her hand away from my grasp.

"Stay away from me, Athena." She spat out.

By now a crowd had started to gather around us, everyone was watching the horrifying scene unfold.

"May nagawa ba ako?" I whispered, my voice was shaking.

For a moment an emotion flashed across her face.

Guilt?

But she quickly covered it, she turned her head away from me, like she couldn't bear to look at me.

"kausapin mo 'ko, Max, tell me what's wrong, we're best friends, we'll figure it out.'' I urged. ''We always do.''

Her eyes met mine again and I shuddered at how cold they were, Max had never looked at me that way, Her lips drew into a sneer.

"We're not friends." She said through clenched teeth.

"H-ha?" I stuttered in disbelief.

"Just leave me alone, Athena!" She snarled.

"Max!" I cried out, I didn't care that I was sobbing in front of the entire school, all I cared about was Max.

I reached out for her again, my hand clasped her wrist to stop her, her jaw clenched and her eyes blazed when I touched her. 

She yanked her hand away with such a force that I lost my balance and fell down, a cry left my lips as my ankle twisted painfully.

A pair of arms encircled my waist, I looked up and saw Caleb kneeling down beside me, her furious gaze trained on Max, she slowly lifted me up in her arms and I whimpered as the movement caused the pain in my ankle to intensify.

"This has gone too far, you're not taking any more of her crap, Athena." Caleb snapped, her glare fixated at Max.

Hindi totoo 'to.

Hindi pwede.

"Tara sa clinic." Caleb murmured as she started to carry me away.

I could hear the whispers around us, but my eyes were still trained on Max, I watched as she slowly walked away.

And never turn back.