Chapter Fifty-Two : Vulnerability

The trio gathered in the living room. The dogs and cat blissfully huddled together while their robotic housemate, Canti, busied himself with washing the dishes. Denji lay on his back, staring at the ceiling in deep thought, lost in introspection. Y/n sat nearby, engrossed in his comic book, casually flipping the pages as he read. Nayuta sat beside Denji, resting her head on his stomach, using it as a makeshift pillow, her eyelids heavy in sleep.

Nayuta's nostrils suddenly flared, detecting a scent in the air. In an instant, her eyelids sprung open, bringing her consciousness out of her sleep. She sat up right away, her nose tingling from the lingering scent.

"I smell something nasty" Nayuta announced "It's the worst devil scent.. I've ever smelled!" Nayuta declared. Denji was too deep in contemplation, and his eyes never left the ceiling. Y/n's attention wasn't even slightly diverted from his comic book since he was so absorbed in reading it.

She noticed that no one was paying attention to her, Nayuta walked to the kitchen and asked Canti to give her a soup spoon and a pan. Canti gave them to her without inquiry, obeying the girl's domineering personality. Nayuta returned to the living room and bashed the soup spoon against the back of the pan, producing loud metallic bangs that Y/n startled.

"Go Go Go, Vigilante boys! It's devil hunting time!" Nayuta announced while clacking the pan noisily "Why my ears always had to suffer.." Y/n winced slightly, lowering his comic and holding one of his ears in discomfort. His eyes twitched at the culprit, he utilizes his telekinesis to levitate the pan and soup spoon out of Nayuta's grip before returning them to the kitchen with a simple pointer finger gesture.

"Maybe I should keep them higher next time" Y/n muttered as he shakes his head "Hey! I was only using them as a bell!" Nayuta snarls as she observes Y/n rising up and stretching his arms "You're being loud" Y/n commented "That was one way to get both of you to pay attention to me while I was speaking!" She pouted, puffing, and placed her hands on both sides of her hips.

"You should've just nudged our shoulders instead of causing a commotion" Y/n scolded "Nuh uh! I doubt that any of you would listen to me even if I did!" Nayuta rants "Alright.. my bad, lil sis" Y/n sighed in defeat, caressing Nayuta's hair in an apologetic act, not wanting to engage in an argument "You'd better mean it" Nayuta threatened.

Y/n gently nodded, reassuring Nayuta of his apologies "Let's go kick some ass, big bro" Y/n invited. Both Nayuta and Y/n fixed their gaze on Denji, who was still staring at the ceiling, merely his chest moving up and down "Meh.. I don't feel like being Chainsaw Man anymore.." But Denji was not in the mood to even move from his position.

"Why not?!" Nayuta asks, clearly taken aback, while Y/n just lifts his brow at Denji's odd response "Big brother, didn't you say you wanted to find a girlfriend while also being Chainsaw Man?" Y/n mentioned. 

"How come you've suddenly changed your mind?" Y/n knelt beside Denji and asked him more, trying to understand why "Because, even after everyone discovers that I am him, the ladies choose Chainsaw Man.. rather than me. They want a hero, not some ordinary guy" Denji responded in a wearied croak.

The atmosphere was solemn, charged with a palpable sense of vulnerability. 

"That's absurd! You are Chainsaw Man! And the ladies are dying to learn your identity!" Nayuta defends "Big bro, you're no ordinary guy. We overcame impossible odds, killed countless devils and experienced the darkness of hell itself" Y/n explained, attempting to brighten Denji's spirits and reassures him of his uniqueness.

"There is no normal person who could endure all of that. You're not an ordinary guy, you are Chainsaw Man" Y/n proclaimed, trying to convince Denji to recognize his side that he wasn't aware of.