Chapter 8

"Goldenpaw!"
Goldenpaw, a fluffy golden-striped tabby cat looked up from her nest and stared at Fourstar, her dark brown eyes wide. She always felt a mixture of nervousness and excitement when Fourstar summoned her. Fourstar padded over to Goldenpaw's nest and gazed down at her.
"How are your training sessions going?" The brown tom inquired.
Goldenpaw shrugged, trying to seem casual. "They're going alright, I guess."
Fourstar smirked slightly, amused at Goldenpaw's attempt to appear nonchalant. "Just alright?"
Goldenpaw shrugged again, feeling a bit embarrassed that the leader was calling her out on her behavior. "Well, I mean, they're going fine. Nothing out of the ordinary."
Fourstar nodded, a knowing glint in his eyes. "Is that so? Then why do I keep hearing reports from your mentor about your 'unusual lack of focus during training sessions'?" He chuckled softly.
Goldenpaw nodded, feeling a sense of relief wash over her. She had been so worried about disappointing Fourstar, but it seemed like he still had faith in her. "Thank you," she repeated.
Fourstar gave her a reassuring smile. "Of course." He paused for a moment, suddenly realizing the time. "It's almost dusk already. You should get some rest."Goldenpaw nodded, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over her. She had been up since dawn, and all of the emotions of the day were catching up to her. "Yes, leader. Good night," she said, settling back down into her nest.
Fourstar watched her for a moment, then turned and padded out of the den.The next morning, Goldenpaw was woken up by the sound of the dawn patrol returning. She sat up in her nest, blinking sleepily as she surveyed the camp. The sun was just starting to rise, casting a rosy glow over the clearing.
She stretched and yawned, then padded out of the leader's den and into the midst of the hustle and bustle of the camp.