Immune: One

NOTE: This is a Poly!141 fanfiction and is written in second person. You can find more works on my tumblr: evilgwrl

ANYTHING IN ITALICS IS A FLASHBACK

It only started as a cold. Then it spread to a viral infection, consuming people faster than poison. It didn't take long for the world to stop, for terror to appear, spreading like a wildfire, destroying cities as quickly as they appeared.

It was a vastly asked question growing up, "Do you think you would survive the apocalypse?" and to those who answered yes, where are you now? For you, surviving came easy. You remember it, the scene playing in your head like clockwork.

"Vienna, we have to go!" You spat, your voice scratching against your parched throat as you watched the dead-alive tear at the walls, staggering limbs chasing after the scent of beating veins.

"I can't run any faster," Vienna spat, sheer fire running through her exhausted body as she stumbled upon the concrete road. You trusted her. You were going to get through it together. You were all each other had now.

You didn't stop, only grabbing her hand as your worn shoes skidded against the floor, the smell of rubber burning your nose. "We need to get over that fence!" You yelled, your eyes blurred from exhaustion as you tugged the girl next to you, your sweat dancing along your palms.

You stumbled, heavy feet clamping into the chain as you attempted to pull yourself up. The taste of metallic engorged your mouth as you bit harshly on your tongue, gripping onto Vienna's hand in an effort to pull her up.

"You need to hurry!" Your voice yelped out, dragging the girl as if she was a rag-doll, your efforts rushed as you attempted to pull her up. It felt like a movie, the sound of gargling flesh, mangled between broken teeth and rotting skin acting as a soundtrack, yet it wasn't fiction. This was real, this was reality.

Your leg was now hunched over, your body positioned between the fence as you focused on saving your friend. The clamminess between both of your hands, causing a friction as she continued to slip. "I-I can't, Y/N, pull me harder," Vienna exasperated, her voice high pitched as she watched behind her, rotten claws scratching the air.

Vienna's feet dug into the chain as she wobbled, slick pools of blood flooding at her palms as she sliced the tender skin upon the metal. A grunt left her mouth as she clasped onto your hand, the dead swarming closer, desperate and starved.

Almost comically, Vienna whispered out an "I'm sorry" before tugging. You landed with a whack, your knees hitting the ground as you winced, your jeans skidding across the ground, fresh marks of friction, followed by the prickle of blood appeared quickly upon your palms and knees as your eyes darted to the girl infront of you, clambering up the fence.

Your breathing stilled, the sound of static filling your ears, muting everything around you as your limbs froze up. This was it, you thought, the stench of death approaching you as you attempted to stand, hands gripping out to reach for any weapon as the sound of struggle behind you deafened you.