Part 5

The next morning, Justin and Maddie trudged downstairs with heavy steps, both feeling the weight of their pounding headaches and the weight of what was to come. The smell of coffee hung in the air, and the house was unusually quiet except for the sound of cartoons playing softly in the living room. Ruby and River were already sprawled out on the sofa, completely absorbed in their show.

Justin glanced at Maddie, both of them silently hoping their parents might show a bit of leniency. Maybe they'd understand that it was just a mistake—one night of fun that got out of hand. But deep down, they knew better. Travis and Taylor were not the kind of parents to brush off something like this.

As they reached the kitchen, they found their parents waiting at the table, their expressions unreadable but serious. Taylor sipped her coffee in silence, while Travis sat with his arms crossed, clearly waiting for them to approach.

Justin took a deep breath. "Mom, Dad, look—"

But before he could even finish, Travis raised his hand. "Sit down."

Maddie and Justin exchanged a glance and did as they were told, sliding into the chairs across from their parents. The tension was thick in the air, making the silence even more unbearable.

Taylor set her mug down, her eyes sharp as she looked at both of them. "You went behind our backs, you lied to us, and you thought sneaking out to a party—where we know there was drinking—was no big deal?"

Justin opened his mouth to protest, but Travis cut him off.

"You're grounded," Travis said, his voice stern. "No football for two weeks, Justin. And Maddie, no cheer."

Both twins gasped in shock. "What?!" Justin practically jumped from his chair. "Dad, no! The season just started! We have games coming up—"

"And the team needs me!" Maddie added, her voice rising. "You can't do this!"

Taylor shook her head, her tone firm. "We can do this, and we are. You both broke our trust, and there are consequences for that."

Justin ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. "It was one night, Mom! We didn't even do anything that bad!"

"You lied. You went out when we explicitly told you not to. You snuck back in like you could get away with it." Travis's voice was calm but edged with disappointment. "What part of that isn't bad?"

Maddie folded her arms over her chest. "We're not little kids anymore. You can't control everything we do."

"No, but we can set rules," Taylor said, her voice cool and steady. "And you're still under our roof, so you'll follow them. This isn't up for debate."

"But Mom, football—" Justin started, only to be cut off by his father.

"I said no buts, Justin," Travis said, his voice final. "You'll sit out the next two weeks, and you can use that time to think about the kind of choices you're making."

Maddie slumped back in her chair, tears of frustration welling up in her eyes. "This is so unfair."

"It's not unfair, Maddie," Taylor said softly. "It's the consequence of breaking our trust. We love you both, but we won't tolerate lying or sneaking around."

Justin clenched his jaw, his frustration bubbling up but knowing there was nothing more he could say. Maddie remained quiet, her arms still crossed, but her expression was one of defeat. They knew their parents meant every word. There would be no budging on this.

As they stood up to leave the table, Taylor called after them, her voice gentler now. "We're not doing this to be cruel. We just want you to make better choices, to understand that your actions have consequences."

Justin and Maddie nodded silently, too angry and defeated to say anything else as they retreated back upstairs. The punishment stung, but what hurt even more was the realization that they had disappointed their parents—and that there was no getting out of the consequences they had earned.