New faces, New tension

_________________________________

thank you for 7k reads ღ !

omniscient
📍New Jersey

• 1 Week later

It had been a week since that night with Solana. They had gotten closer, or at least that's what Solana seemed to think. Rye wasn't so sure anymore.

Sure, Solana had been around more often—texting her constantly, checking in on her, wanting to know every detail of her day—but something about it made Rye feel suffocated.

Solana's attention, once comforting, had begun to feel like a noose tightening around her neck.

They hadn't talked about that night. Not once. And even though they were "just friends" now, Solana's constant presence felt heavier with each passing day.

Rye kept telling herself it was nothing, that Solana was just being protective. After all, Solana had always been there when she needed someone. But why did it feel like something more was lurking beneath the surface?

Jemai, on the other hand, had been blowing up Rye's phone. After what went down, Rye believed Jemai didn't deserve a response. Not yet, at least. Rye wasn't ready to face that mess.

Rye was getting better, though. Since starting therapy, the words didn't stick as much in her throat. She could speak more freely, especially to new people. It was easier to breathe.

That day, when Rye walked into class, she saw a new face at the front of the room. Ms. Smith was introducing her to the class.

"Everyone, this is Cianna," Ms. Smith said.

Cianna barely looked up, her expression blank. She was dark-skinned, with long knotless braids falling to her mid-back.

She wore an outfit similar to Rye's-an Essentials hoodie, except hers was green and Rye's was black. Rye had on sweatpants, and Cianna was wearing baggy jeans.

After the introduction, Cianna walked over and gestured to the empty seat next to Rye. "Mind if I sit here?"

Rye shook her head. "Go ahead."

They didn't talk much during class, but after it ended, Cianna leaned in. "Hey, can you show me where the lunchroom is?"

Rye nodded. "Yeah, follow me." It felt natural, leading the way down the hall.

The silence between them wasn't uncomfortable like it might have been before therapy. She could handle small things like this now.

But as they walked, Rye noticed Solana down the hall, her sharp eyes focused in on them. Rye could tell something was off even before Solana's face twisted into an expression of irritation.

Solana's shoulders were tense, her stride quick and deliberate as she approached them.

"Who's this?" Solana's voice was tight, sharp.

Before Rye could respond, Cianna opened her mouth. "I'm Ci—"

"I wasn't talking to you," Solana cut her off, her gaze fixed on Rye, unblinking and intense.

Cianna raised an eyebrow, unbothered. "Well, it's about me, so I'll answer. I'm Cianna."

Solana didn't even acknowledge Cianna's response. Instead, she reached out, grabbing Rye's wrist with a little too much force. "We need to talk," she muttered, dragging Rye into an empty classroom.

"Solana, get off me!" Rye tried to pull free, her frustration mounting. Solana eventually let go once they got into the room.

The door slammed shut behind them, and Solana whirled around to face Rye, her eyes blazing with an intensity that made Rye's stomach twist. "What are you doing with her?"