chapter 8

The next morning, Anya apologized to the driver for the previous day's misunderstanding and headed to work. Harshal also departed for his office.

A week had passed since their marriage, but the tension between them remained. Each day blended into the next, with no signs of improvement.

At his office, Harshal's PA interrupted his thoughts. "Sir, we've received an invitation from Mr. Khurana for the opening of his new company."

Harshal grunted a response, "Hmm."

The PA continued, "And, sir, Mr. Khurana specifically mentions that you should attend with your wife."

Harshal rubbed his forehead, weighing the obligation. "Hmm."

Mr. Khurana, a close acquaintance, had guided Harshal through his youthful struggles, helping him care for his siblings and establish his business.

On Sunday morning, Harshal was already awake when Anya rose at 9 am. She freshened up, had breakfast, and headed to her room, intending to avoid Harshal.

As she entered, she found Harshal engrossed in his laptop. Feeling shy, she tried to slip out unnoticed.

"Listen," Harshal said, stopping her.

Anya turned, replying with a stammer, "J-jii."

Harshal's expression changes  at her reply.

"There's a party tonight. We need to attend," he said. "We'll buy you a dress. Get ready."

Anya's anxiety spiked. Social events had never been her comfort zone, even at her father's home.

"Is... is it important for me to go?" she asked nervously.

Harshal's eyes darkened. "Oh, so you're embarrassed to go with me now?"

Anya hastily clarified, "No, no, that's not what I mean. Sorry, I'll go."

Harshal's stern expression eased. "Get ready."

Anya nodded, dressed and ready, and left with Harshal. For the first time, they ventured out together, with Anya sitting beside him in the passenger seat.

The car stopped in front of a big showroom. "We've arrived," Harshal announced, exiting the vehicle.

Anya followed, struggling to keep pace with Harshal's swift strides. She trailed behind, feeling lost, until Harshal abruptly stopped and pulled her hand, drawing her close.

"Walk beside me, not behind. You're my wife, not my servant," he said firmly.

Anya's eyes cast downward, her silence acknowledging his words. Harshal guided her into the showroom.

Upon entry, the manager greeted Harshal with deference. "Good afternoon, sir. How may we assist you?"

Noticing Anya, the manager added a warm welcome, having realized her connection to Harshal.

"I want to buy a dress for my wife," Harshal stated.

The manager discreetly instructed a saleswoman, "He's the boss; show him the best."

The saleswoman greeted Harshal with renewed enthusiasm, and Anya overheard the manager's whispered words.

"Ooh, so my husband owns this showroom," Anya thought, surprised.

The saleswoman guided them, "Sir, please sit there, and ma'am, come with me." She escorted Anya to a section filled with exquisite dresses.

"Try this one, ma'am," the saleswoman suggested, holding up a stunning party dress.

Anya's unease grew as she changed into the dress; it was too revealing for her taste.

The saleswoman presented Anya to Harshal, saying, "Sir!"

Harshal looked up, noticing Anya's discomfort. "Are you feeling uncomfortable in it?" he asked bluntly.

Anya's shyness intensified, her voice barely above a whisper. "Y-yes, a little bit."

Harshal instructed the saleswoman, "Show her another dress."

The saleswoman asked Anya, "Ma'am, what makes you uncomfortable? I'll find something to suit your taste."

Anya replied, "I want something less revealing."

The saleswoman understood and presented a new dress. Anya loved it.

When the saleswoman showed Harshal the new dress, he asked, "Do you like it?"

Anya nodded enthusiastically. "Yes."

With the dress chosen, the saleswoman inquired, "Ma'am, would you like to buy matching footwear?"

Anya glanced at Harshal, who was watching her. He replied, "Yeah, show her some options."

As Anya browsed the heels, she thought, "Maybe I'll look taller next to him."

After their shopping trip, they returned home. Anya changed into comfortable clothes, feeling relieved to shed the formal attire.

Her phone rang, displaying Rhea's name. Anya answered, knowing she couldn't chat freely in front of Harshal.

She stepped out of the room, settling onto the couch in the living room on the other side of the house.

"Hey!" Anya said, answering the call.

Rhea's voice filled the line, accompanied by Shruti's chuckles. "Oh, thank God u pick up , we thought u must be busy in ur marriage life " Rhea teased, her tone teasingly.

Anya laughed, "Hey, it's not like that ! U don't  know how I am living."

Shruti chimed in, "what's wrong ? That's an understatement! Spill the beans, Anya!"

Anya confessed, "I just feel alone."

Rhea's concern deepened. "Does your husband not treat you well? Tell us the truth."

Anya hastened to clarify, "No, it's not like that. You know what happened on our wedding day? He was very angry with me. He's not bad, it's just that he scolds a lot. Most of the time, I don't realize I've done something wrong, and get scolded then I get scared and can't even communicate with him properly.
The reason is ,I never know what will upset him."

Shruti empathized, "That must be tough.

Rhea added, "And how's his family treating you?"

Anya's sigh was audible. "His family must be nice, his siblings live all seperately since they are all married.
And then she explains all them about their shopping and party

Rhea teased, "So, shopping with your husband today, must have been wonderful?" Anya laughed.

Unknown to Anya, Harshal watched her from the second-floor room.

At 5 pm, Anya sat in the room, scrolling through her phone. Harshal entered, fresh from his gym session.

"We need to leave by 7 pm. Get ready," he reminded, wiping sweat from his brow.

Anya nodded, "Ok."

Harshal showered and dressed in a handsome suit, captivating Anya's attention. She couldn't look away.

Akka arrived to help Anya get ready. "Miss, sir asked me to assist you."

Anya donned her dress, and Akka styled her hair and applied light makeup. "My god, miss, your hair is stunning!"

Anya smiled, thanking Akka.

As they prepared to leave, Harshal descended the stairs, locking eyes with Anya. Mutual admiration passed between them, unspoken.

In the car, Harshal helped Anya out, carefully handling her dress. He offered his arm, guiding her into the venue.

Amidst the crowd of wealthy guests, Anya felt shy. Harshal greeted acquaintances, congratulated on his marriage. Anya followed suit, exchanging pleasantries.

Harshal approached Mr. Khurana, "Hello, Mr. Khurana. Congratulations on your accomplishments."

Mr. Khurana smiled, "No, I should congratulate you on your wedding. I didn't expect you to find such a lovely wife."At which anya's feel shy.