CHAPTER 04: The Urgency of The Search

Nica, Ivan, Valentina, and Mikko stood in front of Jade’s house, the atmosphere thick with uncertainty. As they prepared to enter, Valentina glanced at Ivan, concern flickering in her eyes.

“Ivan, are you okay?” she asked softly, noticing him flinch as he adjusted his backpack.

He merely nodded, a curt response that left Valentina feeling a pang of disappointment. She had wanted to reach out, but his cold demeanor pushed her back.

Nica, observing their exchange, turned to Valentina with skepticism. “What are you doing here, Valentina?”

Valentina straightened, her expression defensive. “Ivan take me here with him, and i'm curious why my rivals aren't coming to school.”

Nica crossed her arms, unconvinced. “You’ve never cared before.”

Before Valentina could retort, Mikko stepped in, sensing the rising tension. “Can we just drop it? We need to go inside and find out what’s going on. Alora is what matters right now.”

Nica sighed, recognizing the urgency. “Fine. Let’s go.”

As they entered Jade’s house, the weight of their situation settled heavily upon them. The uncertainty of Alora's whereabouts loomed large, overshadowing their petty rivalries and grievances.

As Nica, Ivan, Valentina, and Mikko stepped into the living room, they found Jade anxiously waiting on the sofa. She stood up immediately, her expression a mix of relief and anxiety.

“Thank you for coming,” she said, gesturing for them to take a seat. They settled onto the couch, a heavy silence enveloping them as they absorbed the gravity of the situation.

Mikko broke the tension. “Jade, what happened? Where’s Alora?”

Jade’s frustration was palpable as she ran a hand through her hair. “When I woke up yesterday morning, I realized she was gone. I thought she’d just gone to school, but... she never came back.”

Mikko’s mind raced. “Wait. I was with Alora the other day at the café. She didn’t say anything about leaving or going anywhere.”

Jade’s eyes widened in shock. “You were with her? What happened?”

Mikko recounted their conversation, how Alora had confided in him about Ivan’s behavior and her desire to break away. As he spoke, Ivan’s brow furrowed, a storm brewing behind his eyes.

“What were you talking about?” Ivan interjected, his tone sharp. “It sounds like it’s connected to this.”

Mikko shot him an irritated look. “That’s not your business, Ivan. We were just talking.”

“It is my business,” Ivan snapped, his possessiveness flaring. “She’s missing, and you were the last person seen with her!”

Nica stepped in, trying to mediate. “This isn’t helping! We need to focus on finding Alora, not arguing.”

Valentina, sensing the tension, added, “We should be working together. Alora needs us.”

But Ivan’s eyes were fixed on Mikko, suspicion brewing. “What if you know more than you’re letting on?”

Mikko clenched his jaw. “I would never hurt Alora. You should know that by now.”

Jade intervened, her voice steady but filled with worry. “We need to find Alora. Whatever happened, we need to work together to figure it out.”

The weight of their fractured connections hanging heavily in the air as they contemplated their next move.

The silence lingered in the room until Nica finally broke it. “We should start looking for Alora. I know her favorite spots. The library is a good place to start; she goes there often.”