CHAPTER 06: Unexpected Allies and Weight of Regret

As they stood outside Jade's house, Nica glanced down the street and spotted Jade’s car approaching. Her heart raced with anticipation. Maybe Jade had news about Alora. The car pulled up, and as Jade stepped out, Nica’s eyes widened in surprise when she noticed Shawn getting out as well.

“What are you doing here with Shawn?” Nica asked, her voice laced with curiosity and a hint of concern.

Jade smiled reassuringly. "Shawn heard you in the library asking about Alora. He wanted to help."

Nica looked at Shawn, a mix of gratitude and skepticism swirling in her mind. “You want to help?”

Shawn nodded earnestly. “I know things between us were rough, but I can’t just stand by. I want to do what I can.”

Jade placed a reassuring hand on Nica’s shoulder. “He means it. I think we can use all the help we can get right now.”

Jade turned to Nica. "Where's Ivan?"

Valentina chimed in, crossing her arms defensively. “He said he’d come back tomorrow morning. He had… other things to handle tonight.”

Jade nodded, absorbing the information. “Alright. Let’s go inside. I’ll whip up some dinner while we figure out our next steps.”

The group followed Jade into the house, the weight of uncertainty hanging heavily in the air. As they settled into the living room, Nica felt a flicker of hope. With Jade, Shawn, and the others by her side, maybe they could piece together the clues that would lead them to Alora.

Jade called everyone to the dinner table, and as they sat down, a heavy silence enveloped the room. The aroma of the food filled the air, but the tension was palpable.

Mikko broke the silence, his voice tentative. "Have you heard anything from the police, Jade? Any leads?"

Jade looked around at the concerned faces before answering. “The police are still looking for Alora. They’re canvassing the area and talking to anyone who might have seen her.”

Valentina leaned forward, her brow furrowed in thought. "But what if she went to a relative? She has to have someone we can reach out to."

Jade’s expression hardened. "Our parents are gone. We don’t have any relatives to turn to, and that’s part of the problem. The police are looking into everything they can, but... it’s complicated."

Nica glanced at Mikko, anxiety creeping into her voice. "So what now? What do we do while we wait?"

"The best thing we can do is stay together and keep our eyes open," Jade replied, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her. "I’ll be in touch with the police regularly. If they find anything, I’ll let you know."

Valentina's appetite vanished as she processed Jade’s words, her mind racing. Jade noticed her distraction and turned to her with concern. "Valentina, is everything okay? You seem off."

Valentina forced a bitter smile. "It's nothing, really," she replied, but her eyes betrayed her anxiety. Jade nodded, sensing there was more beneath the surface, and returned to her meal.

As the silence settled back in, Valentina glanced over at Mikko, who seemed to be grappling with his own thoughts. Their eyes locked for a brief moment, and Valentina felt a rush of emotions—fear, guilt, and something unnameable.

With a deep breath, Valentina stood up. "Jade, can we talk? Just the two of us?"

Jade raised an eyebrow, surprised but intrigued. "Sure, let’s step outside." She followed Valentina into the yard, the cool evening air contrasting with the heaviness in Valentina’s heart.

Once outside, Jade crossed her arms, concern etched on her face. "What’s going on? You seem really unsettled."

Valentina took a deep breath, her voice trembling slightly as she addressed Jade. "I know you’re worried about Alora, but there’s something you need to see." She pulled out Alora’s phone from her pocket, holding it out to Jade.

Jade’s eyes widened in shock as she stared at the phone. "Why do you have Alora’s phone? Where is she?"

Valentina rushed to explain, her words tumbling over each other. "I was walking to the cafe that night, but then I saw her arguing with Ivan. I didn’t want to interrupt, so I just hid and listened. I thought they were just having a disagreement, but I got worried when Ivan’s tone turned harsh."

Jade’s heart raced as she listened, the dread of what might have happened creeping into her thoughts. "And then?"

Valentina’s expression turned serious. "While I was hiding, I saw someone behind Ivan. I panicked and ran, not knowing what to do. When I came back, Alora and Ivan were gone. The only thing left was her phone, lying in the grass, turned off."

Jade felt a rush of emotions—fear for her sister, confusion, and a hint of anger towards Ivan. "Why didn’t you tell me sooner?"

"I didn’t want to bring more worry. I thought maybe it was my chance to finally step out of her shadow, to be the one everyone notices," Valentina admitted, her voice cracking. "But now... now I just feel guilty for not helping her. I should have done something."

Jade placed a comforting hand on Valentina’s shoulder. "You didn’t know. None of us did. But we need to focus on finding her now. If this phone has any clues, we should check it for messages or anything that might lead us to her."

Valentina nodded, determination replacing her earlier guilt. "Let’s see what we can find. We owe it to her." Together, they turned back towards the house, their resolve strengthened by the urgency of their mission.

END OF CHAPTER!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'd love to hear your thoughts-what do you think about the characters' journey so far? Feel free to share your comments and feedback below. And don't forget to click Vote if you liked the chapter! Can't wait to see what you think!