CHAPTER 09: Shackles of Fear, Chains of Love

Alora struggled against the restraints binding her wrists, the rough ropes biting into her skin. The small, dimly lit room felt suffocating, and the smell of damp paint hung in the air. Her heart raced as she caught sight of the two debt collectors watching her with cruel amusement.

“What do you think your sister will do when she finds out what’s happening to you?” one of them taunted, a smug grin stretching across his face. “She’ll be helpless to save you.”

Alora glared defiantly at him, her voice hoarse but unwavering. “Jade will find me! She won’t leave me behind,” she shouted, forcing her courage to the forefront.

The collector chuckled darkly, leaning closer. “You really think so? Let me tell you a little secret. One of your friends is already suffering because of this. You know Ivan, right? He’s in pretty bad shape.”

Alora’s stomach dropped at the mention of Ivan’s name. “What did you do to him?” she demanded, her voice trembling with fear.

The other collector stepped forward, his expression menacing. “Oh, nothing too serious. Just a little reminder for you. If you don’t cooperate, things could get worse for him. Imagine him in pain while you’re here, helpless and alone.”

Fury ignited within her, and she shouted back, “You’re nothing but cowards! You think scaring me will make me give in? You’re wrong! Jade will never give up on me, and neither will my friends!”

The first collector smirked, clearly amused by her defiance. “We’ll see how long that resolve lasts. You might be surprised at how quickly loyalty fades when faced with real danger.”

Alora clenched her jaw, refusing to let them see her fear. She knew she had to stay strong, not just for herself but for Jade and the others. They were counting on her, and she wouldn’t let them down, no matter what these thugs tried to do.

[At Jade's house]

Inside Jade’s living room, tension hung in the air as they gathered around the coffee table, brainstorming their next steps. Jade was on the phone, her voice steady but filled with urgency. “Yes, Officer, I believe I know where Alora is being held. It’s connected to the debt collectors. We need to act fast.”

Nica, Mikko, and Shawn leaned in, listening intently as Jade laid out the plan. Meanwhile, Valentina tended to Ivan’s wounds, her touch gentle and careful. As she applied antiseptic, Valentina caught his gaze, a soft smile playing on his lips.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Valentina asked, a hint of curiosity in her voice.

Ivan chuckled lightly, the atmosphere momentarily lightening. “I never noticed how kind you are,” he said, his eyes reflecting a warmth that made Valentina’s heart flutter.

But her smile faltered as tears glistened in her eyes. “ you never noticed me, Not even once... You’ve always been focused on Alora.”

Ivan’s expression shifted to one of sadness. “I really was. I was so focused on her that I didn’t see what was right in front of me.”

Valentina furrowed her brow, concern knitting her features. “Are you okay, Ivan?”

“I’m fine,” he replied, but the weight of his words hung heavy in the air. “Maybe I was too cruel to the point where I don’t deserve Alora. But he—” Ivan gestured toward Mikko, who was deep in conversation with Shawn and Nica, “—he does.”

Valentina’s confusion deepened. “What do you mean?”

Ivan sighed, his gaze lingering on Mikko. “He’s always been there for her. While I was busy chasing after her, he was her friend. He cares about her, and I don’t know if I can compete with that.”