CHAPTER 07: Wispers of Concern

Alora sat in the dimly lit room, tied to a chair, her heart pounding as she stared at the plate of food placed in front of her. The smell wafted toward her, but she couldn't shake the fear that gripped her. They had taken her captive, and every instinct told her that they could harm her in any way, even through food.

When one of her captors leaned in, attempting to spoon some food into her mouth, she turned her head sharply, refusing to let it pass her lips. "No!" she shouted, her voice muffled by the cloth gag over her mouth. The sheer panic in her eyes spoke volumes, revealing the dread that accompanied her every thought.

Frustrated, the captors exchanged glances before stepping back, leaving her alone in her misery. As they walked away, Alora felt the weight of despair settle heavily on her shoulders. She was trapped, alone, and terrified, with no idea if anyone was searching for her. She thought of Jade, her sister, and how worried she must be. Alora's mind raced with images of her sister pacing the floor, frantically trying to find clues.

The minutes dragged on, stretching into an eternity. Alora's stomach growled in protest, but she ignored it, determined not to show any weakness. Each tick of the clock echoed in her mind, reminding her of her helplessness. She closed her eyes, wishing she could will herself to safety.

Somewhere beyond her prison, the world continued to move on. Jade and the others were searching, desperately seeking leads, while Alora remained in darkness, bound and uncertain of her fate. She couldn't allow herself to think of the worst, but the thought crept in-would anyone find her before it was too late.

2nd day

The morning was heavy with unspoken tension. Jade had prepared breakfast for everyone, her mind racing with a million thoughts about Alora. Her eyes kept darting to Alora's phone, now dead and useless, as it sat on the kitchen counter. She knew what she had to do-get the phone repaired and hopefully find some clue as to where her sister had gone.

Before she left, Nica woke up and, after spotting Shawn outside, quietly stepped out into the yard. Shawn stood still, his eyes scanning the horizon as if searching for something that wasn't there.

"Hey," Nica said softly as she approached him. "What are you doing out here?"

Shawn didn't turn at first, his voice barely above a murmur. "Just... needed some fresh air. Clears the head."

Nica nodded, understanding. "Yeah, things have been rough."

Silence hung between them for a moment, the weight of the past and present mixing into a quiet tension.

Shawn finally spoke, breaking the quiet. "I've been wanting to talk to you, Nica. About Alora... about what happened between us."

Nica glanced at him, curiosity and concern flashing across her face. "You don't have to explain."

"I do," Shawn insisted, his voice thick with regret. "I misunderstood her, you know? I thought she was only hanging out with me because I didn't have anyone else. I thought she pitied me."

"Shawn, she cared about you-" Nica began, but he cut her off.

"I know that now," Shawn said, his voice cracking. "I was stupid. I pushed her away because I couldn't believe she really wanted to be my friend. And I said things... things I never should've said."

Nica frowned, stepping closer to him. "You said hurtful things, but you've regretted it ever since. That counts for something."

"I don't know if it does," Shawn replied, shaking his head. "I can't stop thinking about it. If something happens to her before I get the chance to apologize-"