Chapter Three

The next morning, Ingrid woke with a sense of purpose. The sunlight filtering through the curtains was gentle. She stretched and got out of bed, feeling ready to tackle the day ahead.

After a quick breakfast, Ingrid decided to get a head start on her preparation for the second round of discussions with Lance. She reviewed her notes and went over the key points she wanted to address. Her confidence was high; she had done her research, and she was ready to showcase her skills and enthusiasm.

She hopped into the shower to freshen up, ran a brush through her long blonde hair while holding a hair dryer with the other hand, gently rolling her hair with the brush. Ingrid was dressed in a sharp, professional outfit—a navy blue blazer with a matching skirt and a crisp white blouse. She felt that the outfit reflected her seriousness and readiness for the position. She looked at herself in the mirror, adjusted her blazer, and gave herself a reassuring nod. Her makeup was only slightly more dramatic than during her first interview, accentuating her long lashes.

She decided to leave for the office a bit earlier than necessary. The extra time would allow her to navigate any unexpected delays and arrive composed and ready. As she stepped out of her apartment, she took a deep breath, feeling the brisk morning air on her face.

The drive to the Harrington & Co. office was smooth, and Ingrid arrived with time to spare. She parked her car and took a moment to admire the impressive building. Its sleek, modern design and towering glass windows spoke of the firm's prestige and success. Ingrid felt a rush of excitement and nerves as she approached the entrance.

Inside, she was greeted by the same receptionist from her previous visit. "Good morning, Ms. Carter. Mr. Harrington is expecting you. Please have a seat, and I'll let him know you're here."

Ingrid thanked her and took a seat in the waiting area. She had time to take in the space this time. Her eyes roamed around the lobby as she waited. The space was stylish and elegant, with comfortable seating and tasteful decor. She glanced around, noting the artwork on the walls and the carefully curated magazines on the coffee table.

As she waited, her mind raced through her notes and potential talking points. She reminded herself of her strengths and the unique qualities she brought to the table. The opportunity to work at Harrington & Co. was a significant one, and she was determined to make a lasting impression.

After a short wait, the receptionist looked up with a smile. "Ms. Carter, Mr. Harrington is ready for you."

Ingrid stood up, her nerves giving way to excitement. She followed the receptionist to the elevators and stepped on. They reached the top floor, and the receptionist motioned to head down the corridor to the office where she had met Lance before. The door was opened, and she walked in with a confident stride.

Lance was standing by his desk, reviewing some documents. He was on the taller side, she guessed probably about six foot three inches tall to be precise. He looked up as Ingrid entered, his intense gaze meeting hers. There was a moment of silence, and then he smiled—a rare and genuine smile that made him seem more approachable.

"Good morning, Ms. Carter," he said, his voice as authoritative as ever but with a hint of warmth. He extended his hand, and Ingrid shook it firmly.

"Good morning, Mr. Harrington," Ingrid replied, returning the smile. "Thank you for meeting with me again."

"Of course. Please, have a seat," Lance said, gesturing to the chair in front of his desk. He moved to his own seat, sitting upright with a commanding presence. Ingrid noticed his posture, confident and composed, which gave her a sense of the high standards he upheld.

Ingrid sat down, her posture straight and her hands resting casually on her lap. Lance leaned forward slightly, his brilliant blue eyes locking onto hers with a focused intensity. He pulled off the pair of black framed reading glasses from his face and set them casually by his computer monitor.