Chapter Six

The next day at Harrington & Co. began with a sense of purpose. Ingrid arrived at the office early, eager to dive into her new responsibilities. After a quick check-in with HR, she was informed that she had been assigned to a high-profile case that required her to work closely with Lance Harrington himself. She was excited to be able to see him again. Ingrid tried to hide her disappointment during her first day when she never managed to run into him. She had heard a few colleagues talking about how Lance was in and out of court all day. She knew that was probably why she hadn't seen him on her first day.

The case she was assigned to was a complex commercial dispute between two major corporations, and Lance had been personally overseeing it. Ingrid's role would be to assist Lance in preparing for the upcoming trial, including research, document review, and strategy development.

As Ingrid prepared for her first meeting with Lance, she reviewed the case files and organized her notes meticulously. Her desk was strewn with documents, highlighting the gravity of the case. When the time came, she gathered her materials and made her way to Lance's office.

Lance's office was as imposing and sophisticated as he was. The room was decorated in dark, rich tones with sleek, modern furnishings. The view from the window was spectacular, overlooking the city's skyline. She hadn't given his office much notice during her initial interviews. Ingrid took a moment to admire the space before knocking on the slightly opened door.

"Come in," Lance's deep voice called from within.

Ingrid entered, her heart pounding with both excitement and nerves. Lance was seated at his desk, a towering figure of authority and confidence. He looked up from his work, his piercing eyes meeting hers.

"Good morning, Ms. Carter," he said, his tone professional but with an undercurrent of curiosity. "I trust you're ready to dive into this case."

"Good morning, Mr. Harrington," Ingrid replied, her voice steady. "I've reviewed the case materials and am ready to get started."

Lance nodded approvingly and gestured to a seat across from his desk. "Have a seat. We've got a lot to cover."

Ingrid settled into the chair, her posture attentive and her expression focused. Lance handed her a folder filled with case documents and began outlining the key issues and strategies they would be working on. His explanations were clear and thorough, demonstrating his deep expertise and commitment to the case.

Throughout their discussion, Ingrid found herself increasingly impressed by Lance's command of the subject matter. His insights were sharp, and his attention to detail was meticulous. As they worked through the case strategy, Ingrid contributed her own observations and questions, engaging in a dynamic exchange of ideas.

Lance listened carefully to her input, nodding thoughtfully as she spoke. There was a subtle shift in his demeanor when he acknowledged her contributions—an almost imperceptible warmth that contrasted with his usually stern exterior.

"Your observations are spot on," Lance said, his voice carrying a hint of approval. "I think we're on the right track. Let's incorporate these ideas into our strategy." Lance held his pen with a controlled elegance as he jotted down different notes on a legal pad.