Chapter 6: Shadows and Rumors

The days following the contest had been a whirlwind for Alli. After winning, his confidence had soared, especially with Zildjian's number tucked safely in his pocket. He replayed their conversation in his head over and over, wondering when Zildjian would text him.

But that excitement quickly soured when whispers began circulating around the school.

The First Rumor

It started small — just a few overheard conversations in the hallway.

"Did you hear? Zildjian and Stacy are getting engaged. It's all arranged by their families."

Alli froze mid-step, his heart dropping into his stomach. He quickly turned, hoping he had misheard, but the students were still talking.

"Yeah, I heard it's supposed to happen soon. They're the perfect match, right?"

Alli felt the ground shift beneath him. His mind raced, trying to process what he had just heard. Engaged? That couldn't be true. Zildjian had never mentioned anything about Stacy. They hadn't even spent that much time together... right?

Alli's hands shook as he clutched his bag tighter, his thoughts spiraling. What if it's true? What if all this time, I was just fooling myself?

The Rumor Grows

As the week went on, the rumors only grew louder. Alli overheard the gossip at every turn, and with each conversation, the weight of doubt pressed heavier on his chest.

By the time he met up with Ace and Akinoa for lunch, his mind was a mess.

"Hey, Alli, what's wrong?" Ace asked, noticing the troubled look on his friend's face.

Alli hesitated, his fingers nervously tracing the edge of his tray. "Have you... heard the rumors about Zildjian?"

Ace frowned, exchanging a quick glance with Akinoa. "What rumors?"

"That he's... getting engaged. To Stacy," Alli said, the words bitter on his tongue.

Ace's eyes widened in surprise. "What? That doesn't sound right. Where did you hear that?"

"Everyone's talking about it," Alli muttered, his heart sinking. "I don't know what to think. I mean, he didn't tell me anything, but... why would he?"

Akinoa, who had been silent until now, finally spoke up. "Alli, don't jump to conclusions. You don't know for sure that it's true."

"But what if it is?" Alli asked, his voice cracking. "What if I'm just wasting my time?"

Akinoa's chest tightened at the sight of Alli's distress. I should tell him how I feel, he thought. But now... now might not be the right time.

Zildjian's Struggle

Meanwhile, Zildjian was facing his own battle. Ever since his mother had brought up the idea of an arranged marriage with Stacy, he had been on edge. His family had always been traditional, and their connections with Stacy's family went back years.

"It's a perfect match, Zildjian," his mother had said one evening over dinner. "Stacy is lovely, and the two of you together would be a powerful couple."

Zildjian's stomach twisted at the thought. But I don't want to be with Stacy, he thought, though he couldn't bring himself to say it out loud.

His thoughts drifted to Alli, the boy who had captivated his attention during the contest. Zildjian had been drawn to Alli's sincerity, his kindness, and the way he seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve. He wanted to get to know Alli better, not be forced into a relationship he didn't want.