five

Whenever Maya wasn't working or spending time with Riley, she would paint. Creating art was her getaway and it relaxes her whenever she needs some alone time.

Maya never knew she had this talent until she was in middle school. She and Riley were in a library working on a school project when Maya tuned out was Riley was saying and began looking out the window. The moon and stars intrigued Maya, so she just started to doodle.

Riley was just as surprised as Maya when she showed her. Ever since then, drawing was Maya's outlet. She never let anyone see her art besides Riley and the Matthews.

That's what Maya was doing this Friday night; painting while heavy metal music blares throughout her apartment. She knows the neighbors will complain, but she couldn't care less. Maya was comfortable: she was wearing a tank top and shorts with the window wide open letting the cold air swirl around her home. Maya wasn't going to let a couple of whiners ruin it.

Maya has her hair tied up in a messy bun so paint won't get in her hair. Therefore paint decorates her cheeks and forehead along with her arms and hands, she might as well be the canvas.

While Maya was at home relaxing and enjoying herself, Lucas actually doing quite the opposite.

***

Lucas was too busy mopping floors, scraping gum from under tables, and taking out the trash. Lucas works full-time at a small cafe near his house. The cafe is rarely ever busy except during weekend nights, thus making tonight's job harder than it needs to be.

Well, it's not so bad. While Lucas wipes down counters and washes dishes, he blasts his favorite music in his earbuds, drowning out the world around him.

He's interrupted, however, when his phone rings. Lucas unplugs his earbuds and answers on the second ring. "Hello?"

"Lucas!" It was his father. Lucas wants to love his father, but how could you possibly love someone you can't stand? Mr. Friar was an insensitive man and was barely ever around to have father-son time with Lucas, not like he ever wanted to.

"Hey Dad," Lucas says dryly. "What do you want?"

"I was just checking up on you. Your mother says you've been doing fine--"

"You talked to Mom," Lucas asks.

"Why yes," Mr. Friar answers. "But I just wanted to hear from you myself."

"I'm fine, Dad," Lucas responds quickly.

"Hey, when are you coming home to visit," his dad asks. "It's been a while."

"You know, it's funny you ask that since whenever I asked to come home when I was younger, you would always say no."

"Oh, come on, son," Mr. Friar chuckles. "You can't still be mad about that."

"Still? What, no. Why would I be," Lucas says.

"And besides, you were different then," Mr. Friar says.

Lucas clamps his eyes shut from the memories. He doesn't like to think about who he was before. Even when he came to New York at a young age to start over, he still needed help working on his issues. Now he's better and he doesn't need his dad of all people to remind him.

"I know, Dad."

"Good, so you'll come home soon," Mr. Friar asks

Lucas sighs wearily. "I'll think about it."

"Oh and maybe you could bring your Zay friend," Mr. Friar suggests.

"Yeah sure. Uh listen Dad, I have to get back to work," Lucas says to try to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

"Ok, son. Talk to you later." And with that, Lucas hangs up the phone.