𝐗𝐈𝐗.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐗.
i hope i never lose you

ᯓᡣ𐭩

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐄'𝐒 𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑 with her mother, the girl couldn't bring herself to look Luke in the eye. She did her best to avoid him throughout their journey, making excuses about being tired or seasick.

But she couldn't keep at it for long. Luke caught on and realized something was wrong.

"Are you avoiding me?" he asked her, after he'd stormed in the room she stayed at, where she was currently sat, a blanket curled around her frame.

"What are you talking about?" she answered his question with a question, trying to sound clueless.

"Come on, Maise. I know you. Something's wrong." He sat next to her on the bed, maintaining some space between them to reassure her. He'd hate to have her retreating so early into the conversation.

Maisie shook her head. "Nothing's wrong," she pressed, though she couldn't bring herself to lie further.

Luke regarded her for a moment, searching her face for something, something that would reveal to him what was going on in her head.

"Please," he pleaded, his eyes stuck on hers, his gaze soft.

Maisie took a shaky breath. This was it. "Okay," she caved. "Um. I saw my mother," she admitted.

Luke raised his eyebrows, but waited for her to continue.

"She, um. She doesn't want me to see you anymore," she explained, not bothering to give him the worse details of her talk with Athena.

Luke had the audacity to smirk. "That makes this even more fun."

Maisie turned to glare at him. "You're insane. She could blast you to pieces. This isn't the typical mortal teenage romance where our parents disagree."

"I haven't been blasted yet. I think I'm safe."

"You tell yourself that. I don't want to live to see you die from my mother's wrath."

"Okay. So, no angering Athena."

Maisie groaned in exasperation. "You don't get it. We've already angered her. She doesn't want me here because it's like... enemy territory. You're the enemy."

Luke's face fell a little. "Yeah, but... You're still fighting for their side. Right?"

"Yes." She let her head rest on her knees.

"Maise. It's alright," Luke reassured her, placing his palm on her back. "We're almost at our destination, anyway. You can pretend you're not seeing me anymore."

Maisie raised her head to look at him again. "Pretend? Why, do you have plans for us after this?"

"I mean... we don't have to stop. If you want. I don't want to lose you." He spoke his last sentence almost as a whisper.

Something clicked then for Maisie. She realized she couldn't stay away from him even if she wanted to. No matter how far away they were, or how wrong it was, she didn't want to lose him either.

I... love him. That's what she had told her mother in an attempt to convince her about her relationship with Luke. And now, she believed it more than ever.

She stared at his face, as if trying to memorize it, as if it would fade away and she'd forget it when she got older. She looked at his scar, at his eyes, at his genuine expression.

She couldn't lose him.

Maisie leaned in, pressing her lips against his, and it was a promise. An oath.