Chapter 8- A Lesson In Being Versin

Dante 

I did not like Adornetto on a good day and today was a decidedly bad one. 

"What are you doing here?" I folded my arms across my chest and stared down at the man. 

"You called for a doctor." He replied glibly. 

"Yes. And?"

"And Mancini was busy so he sent me in his place." 

"Wait, why do you need a doctor?" Shiloh moved from behind me and stood between the two of us with her gaze now firmly planted in my direction. I glanced at her and felt sheer irritation as she angeled closer to Adornetto and scanned the length of my body. "Is it because of the door?" she pointed in the things' direction and I almost forgot that I'd kicked it down. 

"No. It's for Uncle S." 

"He doesn't need a doctor." she frowned and responded with a shortness that seemed disproportionate.  "I took care of him. I mean I'm still going to." 

"He doesn't need a doctor?" I responded flatly. 

"No, he doesn't." she responded tersely. 

"And you would know this how?" 

"He's going to be fine Dante. He just needs to rest and I took care of him!" Adornetto swiped his hand up and down her arm as if to soothe her and I bristled. He had no business in this building let alone running his unkempt hands over her body. 

"So you're not just a junior PR person but you're also qualified as a doctor- that's what you'd like me to believe?" I knew it as soon as I said it- I was misdirecting my anger. 

"I would like you to believe that I'm competent and that you're an onbeskofte jackass but since neither of those are available options- yes I suppose a doctor would be in order except... Oh, wait! I was already on the phone with one for over an hour this morning before I went to buy his medication, the nebulizer and a new canister of oxygen." 

"You didn't say as much." I had underestimated her. Again. 

"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mention it during our usual pleasantries? I know I should've said so after you kicked down the door.  Or would you have preferred me to say so before you made sure I lost my job!" 

"Shiloh you didn't lose your job." 

"Yes. I haven't lost it yet. So yes, I suppose for now I have a job, the duration of which only you and your ego are so acutely assured of will be there after next week." 

"Shiloh-" 

"Wait. What do you mean you cost her her job Sanseverino?" Adornetto interjected, placing a hand onto Shiloh's now risen shoulder, leading her closer to him. 

"I don't answer to you." I flicked my gaze in his direction and noticed the genuine concern etched onto his face as he looked between the two of us. 

"You don't answer to me? You're the reason I'm here in the first place." he bit out in response. 

"I didn't ask for you to be and you should've known better than to come here ." Our disdain for one another was mutual and long-standing despite our families being friends. The two of us made it a point not to intrude on one another's turf. For years, his turf had been in South Africa. The Adornetto's had moved to Cape Town during the eighties and were the kind of opportunistic people I really didn't like. The Adornetto's had clamoured eagerly onto a plane and rushed to enjoy the fruits of Apartheid before it had dissolved. During its waining glory days, they made a lot of money in logistics and frequently travelled back and forth between New York and Cape Town.