Chapter-7

An Indian wedding is a grand and vibrant celebration, deeply rooted in culture, tradition, and family. It is more than just the union of two individuals; it's the coming together of two families, a tapestry woven with rituals, colors, and emotions. The festivities span several days, each marked with its own significance—starting with the auspicious Haldi ceremony, followed by the beautiful Mehendi, where the bride’s hands and feet are adorned with intricate designs. The wedding day itself is a spectacle of beauty and devotion, with the bride adorned in intricate jewelry and a resplendent lehenga, while the groom, in his regal attire, arrives with a grand baraat, a lively procession. Sacred rituals, chants, and the seven vows taken around the holy fire signify the couple’s commitment to one another. The entire atmosphere is alive with the fragrance of flowers, the sound of laughter, and the ringing of bells, as family and friends bless the couple. It’s a celebration of love, community, and heritage, where each moment is filled with joy, blessings, and an overwhelming sense of unity and tradition.

𝙍𝙪𝙙𝙧𝙖𝙠𝙨𝙝𝙞 𝙋. 𝙊. 𝙑

I sat in front of the mirror, draped in a red lehenga and adorned with heavy jewelry. My eyes fell upon my reflection, yet the emotions on my face were blank. No smile, no joy, nothing. Because I didn’t know... What would happen to me after marriage? What if my husband turned out to be someone who would beat me? What if, in the future, he threw me out of his house?

 What would happen to me after marriage? What if my husband turned out to be someone who would beat me? What if, in the future, he threw me out of his house?

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a soft knock at the door. A graceful lady stepped into the room, her presence warm and comforting, a bright smile lighting up her face.

"Beta, what happened? Why do you look so sad?" asked Arundhati Ma ji, my mother-in-law.

"Are you missing your mom?" she asked again, her voice filled with concern.

"Yes, Aunty. Kaash woh hoti, bas mera sar par apna haath rakh deti aur mujhe apna ashirwad deti , pyar karti," I said as tears began to escape from my eyes.

She immediately wiped my tears with her thumb. Then, she made me sit on the bed and said,

"Aaj tumhari mamma tumhare paas nahin hai, but yeh maa toh hai na chal ab chup chap rona band kar," she said sweetly.

"Pata hai, Shiv ke papa ko hamesha se beti chahiye thi, par beta ho gaya aur yeh thode sad ho gaye," she added.

"But beta hone par toh khushi milni chahiye," I said while sobbing.

"Haan, par inko ladki chahiye thi. Tujhe pata hai, sabse jyada yeh khush hain ki inko finally ek ladki mil gayi, bahu ke roop mein," Aunty said, while sweetly tapping my cheeks.