Fake God

I didn't stop at Scraps. Of course I wouldn't, a guy's gotta eat after all. Turns out what happened was in a pretty bad blind spot, and they couldn't peep the perpetrator, but the curfew is much stricter now. Finding another meal was not going to be so easy, especially when the last one was pure luck. I'm going to need someone vulnerable, plausible deniability. What better to find someone like that than on an extraction run?

I was hoping our numbers wouldn't dwindle too fast, or at all, really. Cosmo stresses himself out enough, and I can't always chase behind him. He'll stretch himself thin on his last leg for others, then call me overprotective! What a joke. But it wouldn't be hard to find someone and then shift blame to some Twisted. I just needed to be quick.

Thanks to a surprise hug from a Twisted Goob, Pebble wouldn't be making it back with us. Flutter was put out of commission as well, her wing punctured. She flapped and flippered to safety, an isolated part of the floor to rest. She seemed happy, almost relieved when she saw me follow in behind her. Turned fear. I could've healed her, helped her. She couldn't fly, those legs of hers just as useless. No mouth to scream.

She only squirmed, fanning her free wing as I bit into her. Neck, wing, torso. I made quick work of her, sweet yet tangy. Crunchy like a grape and downright sour at points. Finally, the hunger settled and subsided. Flutter twitching, torn, and unrecognizable. How was she still intact? This was quickly answered as she eventually dissolved into nothing. Evidence was no more, but just then, the elevator opened. I quickly cleaned myself so as not to be left behind, preparing a story in my head.

"Did we lose Flutter too??" Poppy squealed, holding her face in distress.

"Seems we did." Rodger answered, looking around. I stayed against the wall for support, out of breath from running and euphoric from hunting. Ecstatic. Cosmo grew antsy, cursing himself quietly, but I was close enough to hear. He says I hear everything.

"Hey, it's going to be alright, Cosmo," I pull him close, rubbing his back. He whines from my comfort, submitting to it. "You know we can't always save everyone."

"I, I know, but it-" He huffs in an effort to stop himself from crying, toughening up with every hot breath. "It still doesn't change the fact it hurts. If only I was there..."

Yeah, if only I hadn't gotten to her first. You and your bleeding heart, Cosmo... I love you so much.