Chapter 3

Maaga pa lang, gising na ako. Hindi dahil kailangan, kundi dahil nasanay na. Besides, I had to take care of my siblings first before worrying about school. Hapon pa naman ang pasok ko, so I had plenty of time.

As usual, I headed straight to the kitchen. Breakfast first. I started cracking eggs, heating up some sausages, and preparing coffee for myself. Medyo simple lang ang luto, but it was enough. Nothing fancy, just something to get everyone through the morning. Elise and Avery were still asleep, but I could already hear Noah moving around upstairs.

"Nathan, wake up," I whispered gently as I went to his room. The kid's barely four, but he's already like a tiny ball of energy every morning. After a few moments of convincing, he finally got out of bed, dragging his blanket with him.

"Baba mo na 'yan, Nathan, kain na tayo." I ruffled his hair, and he smiled sleepily at me.

While my siblings ate, I cleaned up the kitchen bit by bit, wiping down the counters and checking that everything was in order. Elise and Avery eventually wandered down, barely awake, and Noah grunted something that resembled a greeting. Mornings with my siblings were always chaotic, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Kailangan ko lang asikasuhin silang lahat before I could even think about myself.

After breakfast, I sent my siblings to do their usual morning routines. Nathan went off to watch cartoons while the older ones did their homework or played on their phones. Habang abala sila, I started tidying up the house. Sweep here, wipe there, a little bit of everything. Ayoko naman kasing matambakan ng gawa, lalo na't wala ang parents namin for a while.

As I was wiping down the living room table, my phone buzzed. It was Dad.

"Kamusta kayo diyan?" His voice came through the speaker.

"Okay naman, Dad. Katatapos lang namin kumain ng breakfast. Nasa room lang din sila. Kayo, kumusta 'yong trip niyo?" I asked, trying to sound casual. Their trip was for work—my mom and dad were both doctors, and they had a surgery scheduled in another country. They wouldn't be back for a few days.

"Busy lang dito. Pakialagaan mo sila Nathan, ha. Alam mo naman ang ugali ng bunso," I could hear the slight exhaustion in his voice, but his tone was firm. As always.

"Yeah, Dad. No worries," I replied, keeping it short.

"Okay, ingat kayo. Call us kung may kailangan," he added before hanging up.

The conversation left a familiar tightness in my chest, but I pushed it aside. There was no point in dwelling on it. My job was to keep things in order, so I'd focus on that. I still had time before class, so after cleaning, I decided to nap for a bit. Hindi naman ako mapapagod agad, but I knew I'd need the energy later.

***

When I woke up, the clock read 11:30 AM. Perfect timing. Hapon pa ang pasok ko, but it was about time to get ready. I took a quick shower, making sure to refresh my mind. As the cold water ran down my back, I found myself thinking about that law student again—his words, his confidence. Somehow, they stuck with me.

Once I was dressed, I grabbed my keys and headed outside. My motorcycle was waiting for me, parked neatly in the driveway. I climbed on, securing my helmet, and started the engine. The familiar roar of the bike brought a sense of calm. It was one of the few things that made me feel in control.

The ride to school was smooth but long. Our house wasn't exactly close to the campus, and the traffic was starting to build up. But I didn't mind; I liked the time it gave me to think. As the city streets blurred past me, I thought about everything—school, life, my siblings, and that nagging feeling of wanting more. The hum of the motorcycle drowned out the noise in my head, at least for a while.