6. better on ¬

friday november 23 2018 (.5 months since last flashback)
paige's perspective

"Paige, let me in!" I hear along with banging on my front door, obviously from Taylor. I put down my cereal and go to unlock the door for her.

"Hey, you excited?" Taylor prods. Tonight is my first basketball game of the season, and since Taylor's on the cheer team, it's her first game too.

"Excited to absolutely destroy this team, yes. Excited because this means that basketball consumes the next five months of my life, yes and no."

"Do you have any banana bread?" Taylor says, ignoring my answer and walking straight into my kitchen.

"I think there's one piece left in the fridge. Maybe two."

"Are you nervous?" Taylor asks while taking a bit of her banana bread, not bothering to wait for it to warm up.

"Not really. This team is pretty good, but I'm not worried. Remember, number one recruit."

Taylor rolls her eyes. "We'll see about that, Bueckers." She pauses for a moment while eating. "Hey, you had Mrs.Knack last year for business, right?"

"Yeah, she was the worst. Why?"

"She wants me to create a business model and told me to ask you about yours. I guess she knows we're friends and she said yours was good."

"I made a shoe company, it took around zero effort. Just choose to make some sort of clothing company and use a website maker. I'll help you if you want."

Taylor pulls her computer out of her backpack. "I was gonna do a purse company, and Knack said that was a bad idea, so I'm all out."

"What if you design the next iPhone? You can make it like 1 centimeter taller and add an app or something."

"Wait, that's actually kinda good. What website did you use?"

"Go to wix dot com. My mom has a premium plan and she gave me the password."

"Thanks." She sends me a warm smile. I'll do it after the game. I have to do my makeup."

"They make you wear makeup to the games?"

"Yes?" Taylor says, as if it's the most obvious answer.

"Okay, sorry, I don't know about makeup. I've made Avery do my makeup for every school dance the past two years."

Taylor shakes her head in disbelief and walks to my room to use my mirror. "It's just eyeshadow and lipstick. Nothing crazy." Taylor digs through her bag and finds a makeup palette and brushes and sets them aside.

"I'll do it after I do my hair." She rummages through her bag once more for her hair brush and a hair tie. "Should I wear it up or down?" Taylor asks me while she brushes her hair.

"Do your hair like mine." I plead, pointing to the two small braids in the front of my head, stringing back into a ponytail.

"Fine, but you have to help me." Taylor agrees.

"You know I don't know how to braid, right?"

"Who did your hair?"

"Avery." I murmur.

"Hair down it is." Taylor groans. "How long are your games usually?"

"A little less than 2 hours. Why?"

"I'm sort of dreading this game. I hate basketball."

"Hey!" I scold. "You had fun playing with me. Plus, all of that will change when you see me drop a 40 piece in the game tonight."