✎ Chapter 2

The day had finally come. I'd been waiting an entire year for this moment—summer camp. Not as a camper, of course, but as a counselor. Some people might think counseling wasn't as fun as being a kid at camp, but honestly, I loved it just as much. There was something about the atmosphere: the smell of pine trees, the sound of distant laughter, the feeling of being away from everything and completely surrounded by nature. Plus, I got to lead all the activities I loved, hang out with my friends, and help kids make their own unforgettable summer memories. The pay? Yeah, it wasn't great. Minimum wage, sure. But the experiences? Totally worth it.

I hauled my overstuffed duffel bag out of the car's trunk, feeling the weight of it pull me back for a second. With one quick motion, I slammed the trunk shut a little harder than I meant to, the sound echoing through the quiet driveway.

"Careful with that!" Dad's voice came from the driver's seat, his head poking out of the window with an expression that was half-amused, half-worried.

I chuckled, already feeling the camp energy buzzing inside me. "Relax, Dad, it's just a bag. I'm pretty sure the car's fine."

"Yeah, well, if you break it, you're paying for it," he replied, but there was a teasing tone in his voice. He climbed out of the car, making his way around to the front where I stood, my bag now on the ground beside me.

He crossed his arms and gave me that look—the one where he pretended to be serious but was really just stalling to keep me from leaving.

I chuckled lighthearedly, dragging myself toward the front door for my final goodbyes.

"You sure you've got everything?"

I rolled my eyes, trying not to smile too much. This was part of our routine every time I went off to camp. "I'm sure, Dad."

"Let's check, just in case. Phone?"

I pulled my phone from my pocket, waving it before shoving it back in.

"Toothbrush?"

"Yep, packed."

"Charger?"

"Mhmm," I nodded.

"Water bottle?"

"Why would I—"

"You never know. What if the water's infested or... or there's no water at all? Camp's in the middle of nowhere, right?"

I sighed, shaking my head with a smile. "Dad, it's a summer camp, not an expedition into the wilderness. They have water."

"Right, right." He paused, then added, "Bug spray?"

"I packed three bottles, okay?"

He gave a satisfied nod, though I could tell he still wasn't quite ready to let me go. "Alright, alright. I just want to make sure you've got everything."

I gave him a quick hug, feeling the warmth of his familiar cologne mixed with the smell of coffee lingering on his jacket. "I'll be fine, Dad. It's just one week. And I've been doing this for, what, three years now?"

"I know, I know," he said, squeezing my shoulder. "It's just... you're growing up so fast. You're already 17!"

"Dad." I groaned, pulling back and giving him a look. "Please don't get sappy."

He chuckled, raising his hands in mock defeat. "Alright, no sappiness. But seriously, be safe. Have fun. Call me if you need anything."

"Will do." I grabbed my bag again, hefting it onto my shoulder. "See you in a week."

I nodded, then waved him off as he got into the car and pulled away, leaving me standing at the camp entrance. The air was warm, the sky a perfect summer blue, and the sound of kids laughing and shouting in the distance filled the atmosphere with energy. This was going to be an amazing two weeks.