✎ Chapter 7

The chaotic energy of the first day back to school filled the air. I could hear the twins bickering before I even made it downstairs.

"Give it back, Kyle!" Kaia's voice rang through the house.

"I had it first!" Kyle shot back.

Dad was already in the kitchen, flipping pancakes, the smell of bacon and eggs wafting through the air. He glanced up as I entered the room. "Morning, champ. You ready for today?"

I raised an eyebrow as I poured syrup over the stack of pancakes he handed me. "As ready as I'll ever be. The twins at it again?"

"Oh, you bet." Dad chuckled, flipping another pancake onto the griddle. "They've been arguing for the last twenty minutes over a water bottle."

Of course they were. Just then, Kyle darted into the kitchen with Kaia hot on his heels. "Give it back, Kyle!"

Kyle stuck out his tongue, holding the water bottle over his head. "Make me!"

"Kyle!" I snapped, giving him a look.

He hesitated, but finally tossed the bottle to Kaia, who smirked victoriously before walking off to get ready. Kyle just shrugged, shoving a piece of bacon into his mouth.

"Thanks for the help," Dad said, shaking his head.

I took a bite of my pancakes as footsteps echoed down the stairs again. Mom entered the kitchen, her crisp navy-blue suit as sharp as always. "Good morning, everyone!"

"Morning, Mom," I said, watching her breeze through the room like a whirlwind. She kissed Kyle on the head as he chomped on his bacon, then gave me a kiss on the cheek before turning to Dad.

"You've got a full house this morning," she teased, smiling at him before pressing a quick kiss to his lips.

"Tell me about it," Dad said with a grin.

Mom grabbed her coffee mug from the counter and looked at me. "First day of senior year! Are you excited?"

"Yeah," I said, trying to muster some enthusiasm. "Should be fun."

"You'll do great." She smiled, grabbing her briefcase. "I have to run, but I'll see you all tonight."

As Mom headed for the door, Maeve came bounding into the kitchen, her usual energy filling the room. "Hey, everyone!" she said, dropping her bag by the front door.

The twins cheered, "Maeve!" in unison, rushing up to give her quick hugs.

"Hey, Maeve," Dad said, flipping the last of the pancakes. "Ready for senior year?"

"Definitely," Maeve said, flashing him a grin.

Mom smiled at Maeve as she passed her on the way out. "Have a good day, Maeve! Tell your mom I said hello."

"Will do, Mrs. C!" Maeve waved before turning back to me.

"I'll see you all later," Mom said, waving as she made her way out the door. "Love you guys!"

"Love you too!" we all called after her, including Maeve.

I hurried through the rest of my breakfast, tossing my plate in the sink before grabbing my backpack. "We better get going too."

Maeve grabbed her keys, already heading toward the door.

"Bye, everyone!" I called out as we grabbed our bags and headed out the door.

"Bye, Riri! Bye, Maeve!" the twins shouted, already back to bickering over something else.

Maeve's car was parked outside, its familiar sleek form waiting as we slipped into the seats, the soft creak of the car adjusting to our weight. The faint scent of Maeve's perfume clung to the air, sweet but overpowering in the confined space. She quickly popped down the rearview mirror, checking her makeup before starting the engine.