The First Trial

Zoe stood in front of Mingyu, her heart pounding. She hadn't expected to be thrown into the deep end so soon. Despite being scouted for her talent, the weight of the opportunity felt immense, and she was determined not to mess it up.

With a deep breath, she gathered her tools, the familiar weight of brushes and palettes reassuring in her hands. As she approached him, she could feel his gaze, curious yet supportive. "Okay, let's get started," she said, trying to steady her voice.

First, she prepped his skin, applying a hydrating primer that would help the makeup last through the long evening. "You have great skin," she remarked, focusing on her task. She could see the faintest hint of a blush on his cheeks at the compliment, and it made her smile.

Next, she selected a lightweight foundation, blending it seamlessly to create a flawless base. The warmth of his skin under her fingertips sent a wave of nerves through her, but she pushed them aside, concentrating on her technique.

"Do you prefer a natural look or something bolder?" she asked, glancing up at him in the mirror.

"Let's go with something that stands out," he replied, a playful grin on his face.

Zoe felt a surge of confidence. "Alright, then. Let's make you shine."

She chose warm eyeshadows that would complement his features, blending rich shades of bronze and gold. With each stroke, she felt herself getting into a rhythm, the makeup transforming into an expression of artistry. The tension in her shoulders eased as she lost herself in the process.

Finally, she added a touch of highlighter to his cheekbones, giving him a radiant glow. "You're going to steal the show tonight," she said, stepping back to admire her work.

Mingyu turned to look at her, his expression one of genuine appreciation. "I think you might be right. Thanks, Zoe."

In that moment, she realized that she had not just done his makeup; she had created a connection, a collaboration that made her feel like she truly belonged in this vibrant world of creativity. Mingyu looked back into the mirror, admiring the makeup. It was an art form. He had never felt more himself than he did at that moment in time. He didn't have much time to admire it but he took a quick mirror photo before looking up to Zoe.

"You may put Minji out of a job," Mingyu chuckled, his tone playful. But as the words hung in the air, an undercurrent of seriousness crept in. To Minji, this wasn't just a compliment; it was a challenge.

She smiled sweetly, but Zoe could see a flicker of something deeper in her eyes—an unspoken competition that both she and Mingyu sensed. Minji had worked hard to establish her reputation in the industry, and Zoe's sudden presence was undeniably a shift in dynamics.

"You need to go. No more compliments," Minji said, rolling her eyes as she playfully kicked him out of the chair, her tone light but firm. She pointed toward the bustling crowd outside, where people were waiting for him.

"I'm going, I'm going!" Mingyu laughed, shaking his head as he flashed Zoe a small, encouraging smile before striding out of the room, the energy of the event pulling him away.

Once he was gone, Minji turned to Zoe, her expression shifting slightly. "Well, didn't you do well," she said, though her voice held a hint of something else—admiration mixed with an unspoken challenge. "Usually, trainees get to watch the performances, but I think you should stay here and clean up."

Zoe's heart sank a little. "Oh, I understand," she replied, trying to keep her disappointment in check. "I'll make sure everything is tidy."

Minji watched her for a moment, the tension in the air palpable. "It's not that I don't want you to see the show," she said, her tone softening. "It's just that I need to ensure everything runs smoothly, and I can't have you distracted."

As Zoe started to clean up, she became lost in her own thoughts. Her first day had already been a whirlwind of excitement and nerves, and now, she felt as though she had an enemy rather than a friend in Minji. What had begun as a promising opportunity now felt tinged with uncertainty.

She methodically organized the brushes, wiping them clean and placing them back in their designated spots, but her mind raced with the lingering tension of their earlier exchange. Was she really a threat to Minji, or was she just overthinking things?

Glancing up from her task, Zoe was startled to realize that an hour had passed, and Minji was nowhere to be seen. The once-bustling room had quieted, leaving only the faint hum of distant voices and the echoes of excitement from the main event.

Zoe paused, feeling a mix of worry and frustration. Shouldn't Minji be here to guide her? Or was this a test of sorts? She had come into this industry expecting to learn from experienced professionals, yet she felt abandoned in a sea of uncertainty.

As Zoe realized Minji still wasn't back and the room was finally tidy, she decided to venture out. Spotting someone who looked like they might help, she approached and asked, "Excuse me, could you tell me where I can view the performances?"

The person glanced at her badge, checking to ensure she wasn't just a crazed fan before nodding and gesturing for her to follow. They walked down the bustling corridors, the excitement in the air palpable. Zoe's heart raced with anticipation as she stepped into the performance room.

As she entered, her eyes immediately sought out Minji. She found her perched elegantly on a plush chair, a glass of champagne in hand, her gaze fixed on the stage. The atmosphere was electric, filled with the buzz of applause and cheers.

Zoe quietly slipped to the other side of the room, trying to remain unobtrusive. She approached a large window, drawn to the vibrant scene outside. Her breath caught in her throat as she spotted Mingyu on the big screen, performing with an effortless grace that seemed almost otherworldly. The makeup she had applied still looked flawless under the bright lights, enhancing his features and giving him an ethereal glow.

Around her, people buzzed with excitement, commenting on Mingyu's stunning appearance. "The makeup is incredible! Minji really outdid herself this time," one person remarked, gesturing animatedly toward the stage.

Zoe's heart skipped a beat. She felt a surge of pride, yet the mention of Minji's name stung. Instead of stepping in to correct them, she found herself smiling softly. "Thank you," she replied, her voice barely above the chatter, grateful for the praise that was indirectly meant for her work.

"Right? It's such a perfect look for him," another fan added, nodding in agreement. "It really highlights his features!"

Zoe felt a mix of emotions swirling within her—pride for the artistry involved, and a tinge of frustration at being overlooked. Yet, as she listened to the compliments, she couldn't deny the sense of belonging that began to bloom in her chest.